seven 〣 get there in time

•••

Sidewalk

Saturday

11:00 a.m.

Walking home was nice, calming, and it was something that I didn't get to do often. So, when Chase offered to drive me home, but I realized the distance was walkable- well, I took the opportunity.

I couldn't be more than a block from my house.

And I saw the smoke.

No.

Nonononononono.

This couldn't be happening. Everyone always says that, but still. It couldn't. That wasn't my house. Don't jump to conclusions, self. That's silly. You're just being silly.

I sprinted to my house, stopping in front & attempting to catch my breath.

But I couldn't.

Because it hurt to inhale smoke.

Who was in there?

My mom?

Audrey?

Was Audrey in the house?

I heard fire engines, someone must have had some calm and called 911. But they wouldn't get there in time. They weren't going to get there in time to save Audrey.

No.

Nonononono.

I knew what I was going to do.

I went to dash towards my house, but a hand on my shoulder pulled me back. It was one of my neighbors, who I was too shaken in this moment to know the name of.

Audrey.

Audrey.

Audrey.

They took me away from the scene, and I vaguely recognized firefighters go into the house. Everything seemed echoey, like I was in a tunnel. Nothing was making sense. I couldn't get a grip.

Audrey.

Audrey.

Audrey.

It was all too much, as black spots clouded my vision.

I ended up passing out.

•••

Chase

Davenport Estate

Saturday

12:00 a.m.

"A downtown neighborhood residence was mysteriously set ablaze in the past two hours. Firefighters are still trying to determine the cause. More updates at 5. Back to you, Tom."

I could only stare at the television screen.

At the house I knew well. 

(Y/N).

Luckily, Bree entered the room at that point, seeing the screen.

"Holy crap, is that (Y/N)'s house?"

I nodded lamely, and her eyes widened.

"Let's go."

"Bree, what-"

"We're going. Right this instant."

•••

What's Left of (L/N) Estate

Saturday

12:10 a.m.

I blinked a couple times.

Dream.

No, nightmare.

No, reality.

I sat up, looking desperately around me. People. Firefighters. Reports. Ashes.

Ashes where my house should be.

My breathing picked up.

I clutched my head in my hands.

'You're imagining this. You're imagining this. Wake up. Wake up. In the name of all that is holy, wake up.'

I opened my eyes.

Smoke.

Ashes.

Reality.

Hot tears were pouring down my face. No, no, no.

I had seen a body before I passed out.

They were loading a body into the ambulance.

Was it moving?

Was it breathing?

No, no, no. I couldn't tell. I couldn't remember.

I was shaking. I was shaking so badly, and I wanted to die. I just really wanted to die at this exact moment.

And then I saw Chase.

That added a whole new level to the torrent of emotion.

"(Y/N)." He hugged me, gently. Obviously, now he knew I wasn't hurt. But I didn't care about me. No, I didn't matter.

"Hey." He muttered gently, smoothing out my hair comfortingly.

I nearly collapsed.

"Aud-"

"Your sister is fine. They said she survived on the news. But your mom-"

I shook my head, hugging him tighter. My mom was never there. She didn't raise me, Audrey did. I didn't even know my mom's favorite color. And now she was dead.

But Audrey was alive.

Audrey was alive.

But then something else hit me, as big as the feeling of relief that knowing Audrey was alive.

My dog was dead.

Athena had burned to death, and I didn't even get to say goodbye.

My sobbing intensified.

•••

Chase

What's Left of (L/N) Estate

Saturday

12:15 a.m.

Having (Y/N) in my arms sobbing was never something that I wanted, especially with everyone in my family watching it. I heard Mr. Davenport and Tasha conversing quietly behind me.

"We could always have her come live with us."

"I don't know-"

"We have the space. I know we do."

I heard Mr. Davenport sigh, "Fine then."

I squeezed (Y/N) in my arms.

"This will never happen again. And that's a promise." I whispered into her hair, knowing full well she wouldn't hear it.

•••