Epilogue

Here is the epilogue. I decided i just HAD to write one. It's not long, but rather terribly short. I just wanted to get one last thing in before we departed completely.

And this is it.

So this is my last good-bye.

For now. ; )

***********************************************************************************************************

Epilogue

Jacob’s POV

“Jacob? Is that you I hear?”

“Yeah!” I called back in response to Belinda. “I’m going out with Jemma tonight. I’ll be back around midnight.”

“Alright. Be careful! And be safe!”

“I will Belinda!”

I chuckled to myself, smiling at the amount that she honestly cared about what happened to me. Less could be said about my mother, but we were going to therapy sessions, so I hoped it would work out OK.

I stood in the living room gathering myself together. Jemma and I had been dating for a few months now and a day didn’t go by where I didn’t mean it when I told her I loved her. She was my world, and I honestly couldn’t think of a life without her.

I looked at myself in the hall mirror, smoothing out the wrinkles in the black T-shirt I had chosen with the sports jacket over-top. I automatically got nervous every time I was about to see Jemma. My girl. The one I could finally call mine. It was silly, really, because we’d been through so much we were practically one person. Which sounds really creepy, but it’s better than that.

I took a deep breath and turned around. My eyes skimmed over the study doors. The doors that never opened but to retrieve food and water and necessary medication or whatever from the outside. Was my father alive in there? Or had he died a long time ago, his body slowly rotting away into the wood?

I guessed I would never know.

I began walking out of my living room, but an eerie, shrill creaking sound stopped me. it went on for a few more moments, almost seeming hesitant, as if the source behind it all was unsure. I didn’t move. My limbs had seemed to freeze up and my feet were nailed the floor boards. I gulped hard as slow, deliberate footsteps echoed around me. Tap . . . Tap . . . Tap . . . Tap. They stopped right behind me. I didn’t turn around. My heart knew who it was but my mind refused to accept the illogicality of it all. It was merely a hallucination . . .

And then the man behind me cleared his throat. And in that gruff, husky voice I had once loved but forgotten long ago, I heard him speak.

“Hello, son.”