Six Years Later

“One Step closer. I have died every day waiting for you. Darling, don’t be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years, I’ll love you for a thousand more.”

-Christina Perri

***

Jemma’s POV

I could hardly believe it was my wedding day.

I mean, it seemed like just yesterday I was helping Clara plan and accomplish hers. But they had been married happily for nearly six years.

Now it was my turn.

The thought of spending the rest of my life with Jacob filled me with an intense longing and desire that physically made me ache. I needed him, plain and simple. For the rest of my life.

“You look beautiful,” Clara whispered from behind me as I stared at my reflection. I was wearing her wedding dress. I had grown a couple inches in the six years since we had met at seventeen. He had decided to go to college, and then took up police work, like he joked about all that time ago. He had been training and while he hadn’t by any means been small or spindly before, he had still filled out a lot more and looked a lot more intimidating than he did when we were in high school.

I still hadn’t gone to college, but I took general online courses. I wasn’t sure what I would do. The only thing I was sure of was that I wanted Jacob as my husband and to start a family with him. That was about it.

The wedding dress fit me snuggly, accentuating my curves and waist. My black hair was up in a bun encased in white flowers, and of course the veil. Clara and Chloe were my bridesmaids, and were dressed in beautiful, strapless dark green dresses that matched the leaves the flowers around my bun were nestled in. I gulped, suddenly nervous. Not that Jacob would change his mind, because if he did I would single-handedly torture him until I found out why, but because this was the rest of my life. The beginning. I always found a way to screw things up and I really hoped I didn’t screw this up.

“Are you ready?” Chloe asked, popping her head into the room. Her face lit up with pride and happiness when she saw me. She entered and gave me a tight hug, which I returned desperately, needing her strength and confidence. While she and Trevor weren’t getting married anytime soon, a blind man could tell it would happen eventually. He decided to go to Duke and she went to UVA, but they still kept in as much contact as possible, and any couple not willing to break up over distance like that was a couple staying together. Or at least, that’s what I thought.

I wasn’t self-conscious about the scars adorning my arms, on exhibit because of the sleeveless wedding gown. Jacob loved me through everything, because of everything, so there was nothing to be ashamed of. And I had learned to embrace them. They made me who I am.

“Let’s go,” I mumbled nervously, and was met by my grandfather at the entrance to the church. He was going to walk me down the aisle and give me away just as he had done for Clara. Chloe and Clara entered to stand at the front and I took a deep breath. This was it. This was my time.

“Ready?” my grandfather asked, and I nodded as I kissed his cheek. “Thank you for doing this for me.”

He chuckled. “Wouldn’t miss it.”

*****

Jacob’s POV

I couldn’t stop staring at that door, waiting for my angel to walk through. There were a whole lot of people in the audience but I hardly let that bother me. Doubts and worries were eating away at my mind and sanity. What if she realized this wasn’t what she wanted? What if she changed her mind? What if she ran?