Chapter 18 - How to Start a Feud

Ugh, such a tough question. The saddest death for me would have to be Cedric. It was the first time Harry saw someone die (and was old enough to understand, of course), and it was so senseless and useless. At least with all the later ones those people were actively fighting back. Cedric was killed just because he was there. Also, I love Cho Chang and gosh darn Rowling, why did you break them up like that?

~~~~

"James, I really think you should let me hold on to the Cloak for a while." Mr. Potter frowned at his elder son from across the desk. Al had insisted we tell him about what had happened, and had let it slip that most of the time, James kept the Cloak in his bag.

James rolled his eyes. "Dad, I can take care of it. You got it when you were eleven, and you held onto it just fine."

"I never told anyone about it except Hermione and Ron," Mr. Potter replied. "And I also didn't have someone trying to steal it."

"How do you know that's what the person wanted?" I asked innocently.

"Yeah!" James said, latching onto the idea. "Maybe it was just someone who lost their books and didn't want to buy anymore."

"Oh, yes, I'm sure that's it," Mr. Potter said.

"It's not like anyone's told us 'Oh, we're trying to steal your Cloak,'" James said.

Al opened his mouth, probably to tell his dad about the letter. I glared at him until he closed it again.

Mr. Potter sighed. "James, who knows about the Cloak? Who did you tell?"

"Astra and Albus, of course," James said. "And Rose. Oh... and Wren..."

"And Ciara Malfoy," I said. "Remember?" Last year, that had been the only way to get past the then unknown attacker and to safety. Ciara had been put under the Imperius Curse, but managed to fight through it, so we were obliged to take her with us.

Mr. Potter gave me a weird look. "You told Ciara Malfoy."

James nodded. "That night when Wren put her under the Imperius Curse. She's such a prat, but we couldn't just leave her there... I mean, I guess we could have, but that's not how the heroes of Hogwarts are supposed to act."

Albus rolled his eyes.

Professor Potter sighed. "James, I still think it's best that I keep it for a while."

"Dad, can't you just have a little faith in us? Astra, Albus, and I can handle it."

Professor Potter looked up at the ceiling, obviously a little frustrated. "I don't doubt you three. You know that, right?"

"Of course," Albus said immediately.

"This is for all of your safety," Mr. Potter continued.

"Dad, we're at Hogwarts. How much safer could it get?"

He frowned at us for several minutes before saying anything to that. Finally, he said, "Fine, if you're careful, I guess you can keep it. But, there are a few conditions."

James, who had leaped out of his chair to do a victory dance, slowly sat back down.

"One, you can't tell anyone else about it without asking me first, unless it's actually a life or death situation. Hopefully, none of you will run into any more of those in your lifetime, let alone this year.