Chapter 20 - Dedicated or Obsessed?

I'm sure most of you have heard, but Tyler committed suicide a few days ago. I don't care what he did to us, but that's terrible. That he was in such a bad situation that he thought that was his best option. Those of you who are Christians, could you take a moment and pray for his family and friends? This must be hard on them as well. Thanks.

~~~~

My favorite spell is Accio (the summoning charm) because I am a very lazy person and if I could just summon everything I needed in the morning right to my bed I would be happy.

So, as I start writing this it's still Thanksgiving, and I rarely start the next chapter the day I publish the last one these days. Strange, yes? I always have so much time during the holidays that I don't know what to do with myself. Might as well write ahead, right? That means that once I finish this, I'll have more time to plan out the next book.

~~~~

I slammed another book shut, getting more discouraged with each one I put back on the shelf. Why was this so hard? Why couldn't finding information about my mom be easy? Why couldn't wizards have Internet? My mom was alive twelve years ago; surely she had Facebook, or Instagram! I'd be able to get on the Internet at the public library in the muggle world over the summer, but I just couldn't wait that long.

Maybe I needed try again to convince Madam Pince to let me see the records. If I could just see those, my search would be so much easier.

It had been almost a month since the invisible assailant tried to steal the Cloak, and now that the Quidditch season was over, I was skipping as many practices as I could without Jaycee exploding. Most of my free time had been spent in the library; I'd even stopped helping with the Quidditch lessons, much to James and Fred's disappointment. I'd gone through four entire bookshelves. Four out of dozens, perhaps hundreds. I tried not to think about that.

I sighed as I put the book back on the shelf and stood up. My legs had fallen asleep from sitting on the floor for so long, and I cringed as I felt the prickling feeling in them as the blood rushed to them. After a minute, when I trusted that they wouldn't simply give out, I walked over to the front desk.

I paused a few feet away, fixing my most innocent smile on my face. After a second, I stepped up to the desk. "Madam Pince?" My voice was sweet, and I hoped it didn't sound as fake as it was.

The librarian looked up at me, obviously suspicious. "What? Did you hurt one of my books?"

I blinked. "No, I didn't. I was just wondering if I could look at the records of students-"

"And why would I let you do that?" Madam Pince asked, her eyes narrowing.

"Well, you let Rose Weasley see them a few months ago, and she let James Potter see one, and they're still just how they were."

Madam Pince glared into the distance. "She let James Potter even look at one of my records?"

"Yes, so if he didn't hurt it, surely you'll trust me..."

Madam Pince wasn't paying any attention to me anymore, though. She was grumbling to herself about the Potters, I think, and people in general. I always felt like she'd prefer that the library were simply banned from students.

I slowly wandered back to the bookshelf I'd been working at and sat down again. It only took a second to find where I'd left off, and soon I was back to work.