08 | a stalker

VISUALS © 2015

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

[viii]

A STALKER

His new friend, Jackson called his about an eternity later.

He was in the sitting room, quiet and content with his parents when the sudden shrill of the phone cut through it all.

"Is that Kira?" His mother asked, her tone matching her enthusiasm. It had been probably the tenth time she had asked over the course of a single day, and he had only met the girl, three beforehand.

"I don't know," he said, slightly peeved, "I haven't answered yet."

"We'll answer, then."

He sighed, wondering why he had even mentioned Kira in the first place. He pressed the answer button, or he assumed was and for a second he thought he had touched the wrong side and declined instead but the static from the other end of the connection convinced him otherwise.

"Hello-?"

"Hey Cameron, It's me, Jack."

"Hi." a pause, "It's been a long time."

"Hmm, just three days or so. Not that I've been counting or anything."

Cameron laughed, suddenly feeling less burdened by his parent's obvious eavesdropping from the other side of the room. Abruptly, he stood up, not missing a slight whimper of defeat from his mother as he exited the room.

"Where are you?" He asked, leaning against a random wall in the corridor. "It's sounds hectic."

"I know, it's probably my breathing. I'm walking upstairs, you know- extensive work."

"Obviously,"

There was a sudden thump and a creak, and Cameron could only assume that Jack had landed in a bed.

"What school do you go too? I don't think it's the same as mine- I've never seen you before."

"Uhh," he pondered for a moment wondering if he should lie as the truth portrayed his life to be controlled by his disability, but he then remembered Kira and good it did the last time.

"I'm homeschooled- by a teacher but still."

"Wow, fancy."

"I'm not fancy, it's just that I'd probably get trampled on if I went to a school"

"True, true. What's it like then?"

"What, homeschooling? It's just learning at home."

"What do you learn?"

"Mostly Braille."

"Braille? What's that?"

"It's basically reading, but for blind people."

"That sounds cool."

They talked some more, devilling father into a solid friendship. They were only interrupted by Cameron's dad who told him to take out the rubbish bin.

"I've got to go."

"Great, I hated talking to you anyway."

Feigning horror, Cameron put a hand to his chest and gasped while his father exited with a slight tut that settled underneath his breath.

"That was harsh."

"Thanks, I try my best. Bye."

"Bye."

The call was disconnected, but he felt content, taking out the rubbish in high spirits.

"Cameron?"

He stopped at the voice, wondering for a second if he was only hearing things.

"Kira? What- what are you doing here?"

"I'm not stalking you or anything if that's what you're thinking. I live down the road, I was taking a walk and-"

"Taking a walk? In the cold?"

"I know it sounds silly, but I... I just had to. Anyway, I saw you from the other side of the street and rushed over here to make sure I wasn't mistaken. Hi."

"Hello." He smiled, and in the moment then he felt stupid, do he did a stupid thing, "Fo you want to maybe come inside? Since you're here and everything."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

rewritten