10 | finale

VISUALS © 2015

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

[x]

FINALE

This was Cameron's beginning.

At this point, he was more than just a naïve, little blind boy. He was a naïve, little blind boy with potential.

Potential was an extremely vital thing in a seemingly basic life like Cameron's. When a boy such as he had potential or the ability to rise above expectations, it meant he was, in fact, not destined to live eternally trapped in a semi-detached house on the end of a cosy street. And that was a great thing. It was a new thing.

New things more than often lead to another thing called change, and Change was scary. It was a terrifying end boss that would lag around at the edge of each level. It was a large and beastly thing with talons the size of buildings, cursing and clawing with the blood of previous failures dripping from its dagger teeth. It was difficult to approach Change, it was harder to defeat it. But it was not, and it had never been, impossible.

To defeat, this boss was a slow, arduous process. It snatched most of his energy- most of his will, even. Getting to know life as others did was like a slap in the face and it seemed that this... 'Life' had no interest in befriending him back at all.

He went to school, it wasn't as public as a normal school, or even appropriate to be classed as a school at all, but there was a required uniform, which was apparently good enough. He experienced the wrath of 'Life-' on the first day in the regretful form of embarrassment and shame. It appeared that learning only Braille and simple mental maths wasn't enough to survive in the real world, even for a mere boy who was blind.

There was a girl in a class of his- blind also, possibly slightly deaf as well- who could write not only in English but was stable in the acts of learning French as well and could also play the piano.

He had made no friends so far, the other teens around him had obvious problems of their own- disabilities of their own- and couldn't seem to find any will to take on the boy who couldn't see.

Outside 'school' was definitely more tolerable. His friends, Jack and Kira, had the useful ability of making his life seem less dreary than it actually was which came in handy when times felt exceptionally bleak.

They had all first come together in a circumstance that suited the three- accidentally. While Cameron was with Jack, Kira bumped into them, stirring them all into a series of sheepish introductions and soon what was called friendship. After the three became three, they soon became four as Jack brought in a girl with a rough voice and rougher hands who was deemed an outcast as her mind controlled her and not the other way round. Her name was Michelle with an impression that was hard to approach as her eyes were apparently dark and hid something unexplainable. But she was a mere human, a person who had become bad simply because people had called her bad and from befriending the awkward group, she soon ditched the crusty cigarettes and worn out boots which were never her style anyway.

Fortunately [or unfortunately, it was hard to say] Michelle had a brother, George, who was younger and strange but an avid genius. He soon joined the group, in awe of Kira more than anything else and followed them around in their uninteresting journeys, sharing his own thoughts that opened a new spin to the world that they all thought they knew already.

On one day, in a cold park on a warm afternoon, the group joined together. Kira and Cameron were more of a pair [as were Cameron and Jack] and continued to be, but the two together had a certain, 'tune' that nobody else did. Without their newfound friends, they normally spent time in the music shop, sharing horrid jokes and telling tales in between her shifts.

It was obvious.

Cameron felt more than just platonic friendship for Kira, even if he didn't know it so clearly himself. They were only friends, yet it wasn't a strict placement, and he had what he thought were reliable plans to change the unproductive title and increase their status until he was fully satisfied.

Even though he was sure that he would never really be satisfied.

To be honest, he had never really felt before, and the experience was new- different- exciting. Terrifying. He had no idea if Kira felt the same- no idea if all she felt was even just pity, and he had no idea what her reaction would be if she told him.

"Hey, why are you so out of it?" she nudged his side, the contact of their two arms made him feel more stupid than he already did. "I'm just thinking," he said, moving away slightly, his backside dragged along the sharp strands of grass below and he winced at the discomfort.

She hummed as if understanding, "You 'think' a lot nowadays. It's natural, though, you've been put into a life that is totally unlike the one you had before- speaking of, what about your parents? Have they calmed down?"

He nodded, erratic and vigorous as always, "Yeah, I think it's because it's been a couple months now and I'm still alive, but they're still getting used to it too, I guess. They were really surprised,"

"I'll bet. I would have been too."

They sat together in silence for a few seconds, and the seconds brought peace until Jack slumped dramatically beside them, followed by the other two, their breaths heavy and rough after running around like toddlers. In laughter, the group talked until they had nothing else to talk about, and when that came, they sat, in a slightly irregular line, watching [or listening in Cameron's case] as the sun go down and their surroundings moved around them.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

rewritten

A/N; Finally, it's done! [again]. I don't have much to say, but I do want to thank you so much for reading this story and I hope this little snippet of Cameron's life entertained you for a while.