Chapter 27 (Edited)

Four weeks had passed from the time that Delilah had said that I could start working there. Thankfully, Delilah had let me work there for three days as well as the weekends, with her saying that I had to get work done around the farm before I go over there.

Another thing she had let me done was let me ride in horses races. I think she wanted me to win money for her, but Sean gets most of that money, and the money that I do earn was for the horses as well as the barn. She wasn't getting a single cent.

The bad thing was, Sean wouldn't let me ride Blue in any of the races, so Fernando and him haven't been doing well as they could be. Sean was annoyed, but he didn't try to get Fernando to land a hand on my horse.

Surprisingly, Dean kept trying to get Sean to let me ride him in the raises, but Sean was adamant for me not riding him.

I think it was because Delilah might have said something to him, and he was trying to make sure that I wasn't getting beaten. How I knew that, I do not know. I just know that Sean had guessed that I was being beaten by the fact that he had been asking me random questions, to which I had answered cryptically.

"Penny for your thoughts?" a voice asked, breaking me from my thoughts.

I turned to look at Dean, who was riding beside me. I blinked, frowning before shaking my head. "It's nothing," I said, sighing and patting Blue's neck. "I just can't believe that Delilah won't let me go to the dance on Saturday."

"But it's prom," Dean said. "And you've been doing what you have been told to do."

"But Delilah has been in Paris for a week," I said. "She wants me to be there for some odd reason." I rolled my eyes. "I think she is just jealous that her daughters haven't caught your eye." I smirked.

Dean cleared his throat, and there was a blush on his face. "I-I did not," he stuttered. He looked away, smiling a bit.

"So you are gay," I teased, glad that I was feeling more comfortable around him. I didn't know if I was in love with him, but I did have a crush on him. I guess it was because I had been hanging out with him so much that I felt like this.

"I am not gay," Dean said, glaring at me. "I just don't want to go to prom with some Hollywood wannabes." He rolled his eyes. "I just like... normal girls." The blush on his face grew bigger while he looked at me through his eyelashes.

I shook my head, grimacing. "I'm nothing normal, Hollywood," I said. I glanced at the guy and sighed. "Come on, I need to get back to the barn and show Fernando some tricks that will get Blue to trust him."

Dean nodded his head and looked at me worriedly before turning his horse around and causing her to gallop. "Race you!" he yelled over his shoulder.

I smirked and rolled my eyes, turning Blue towards the way that he went. "Oh, you are on!" I exclaimed. I clicked my tongue and lifted myself out of the saddle, as if I was in a racing saddle.

Blue snorted and did a small crow-hop before starting to gallop after Dean.

"See you at the barn!" I yelled when I passed Dean and his mare before hooting with laughter. I loved riding fast and having my blood pump faster as adrenaline ran through my veins.

I wasn't an adrenaline junky, but I did love going fast and feeling free. It wasn't something that I've often.

***

"No, I'm not going to Prom," I said, talking in the old cell phone that my step-mother had given me a long time ago. "Why do you keep asking?"

"'Cause, I was sure that a certain someone would've asked you by now," my friend, Bax, said. I could tell that she was wiggling her eyebrows.

"I've told him plenty of times that I couldn't go, just like I have told you," I said, a small blush appearing on my face.

She huffed. "What is the she Devil making you do tomorrow?"

"Ummmm..." I scrunched up my nose and grabbed the list that Delilah had left for me. "I have to vacuum the whole house, clean all the rooms, paint all the barns with two red coats, and some other stuff," I said. "There are like one hundred random chores that she wants me to do."

"Didn't you vacuum the house yesterday?" Bax asked.

"Mmhmm." I laid my head down. "But that's Delilah for you." My phone beeped, telling me that I was close to finishing the minutes that I had with her. "I'll talk to you later. My minutes are almost up."

"All right. You are going to prom tomorrow," she said before hanging up.

I frowned. "No I'm not," I grumbled. "I don't know why you're going to try and make me." I laid my head down and fell asleep, trying to picture myself going to prom and dancing with someone that I had a crush on.

***

I took a deep breath of relief while I watched the limo, that my step-sisters were taking to go party before prom leave.

It was four o'clock, and I had a stressful morning. Not only did I have to help them get "beautified", I finished about half of my chores.

Thankfully, I was just waiting for the paint to dry, so I could do a second coat on the inside and outside. I was glad that it wasn't raining nor too was it chilly, because I had placed all the horses out in the pastures.

"Ella," Anne asked, causing me to look up. There was a bit of worry on her face. "Have you seen Dereck?"

I frowned, shaking my head. "No," I said. "I haven't been in his room yet to clean it." I wiped the sweat off of my brow and sighed. "I'm gonna go check up on..." Two car horns broke through the quiet air, causing my crew to come out of their house and walk to the main house. Three cars pulled close to the house and parked.

Reece caught me looking at him and smirked. He didn't say a word, but I could see that there was a scowl on his face when he looked behind me. Hatred filled his body, and it was clearly written on his face.

I knew that this meant that Korren was behind us by the fact that Anne had tensed as well. "What is going on?" I asked, looking up at him to see that he had looked rather guilty.

Korren bit his lip and shifted on his feet. "I want to apologize," he said, finally. He rubbed the back of his neck, something that I had picked up from him. "I know it's late to apologize but.." He shook his head and snorted. "She tried to blame you for your father's death, and well..."

My heart broke, because I knew what he meant. He believed her. I couldn't believe that he believed her. I looked away, molding my face into a complete mask. "Ya, whatever."

"So to help ask for your forgiveness. I asked Red to call Bax, and you are going to the dance. I'll not beat you, because I realize that it is not hurting only you but me as well." He looked at his son, and I could see the deep regret in his eyes.

I blinked, not trusting him. "But what about my chores?" I asked.

"We'll get 'em done, Lass," Red said. He narrowed his eyes at Korren, and I knew that he didn't trust him one bit as well. "Bax threatened her cousins and brothers to help out."

I shook my head when Bax got out of one of the cars, smirking. "How long ago was this planned?" I asked.

"Since my Abuela made you a dress," Bax said. "She made mine as well."

"Why?"

Bax gave me a serious look, and I knew that I wasn't going to be able to change her mind. "'Cause, you are going to the dance."