Chapter 3 (Edited)

After we fed the horses the hay and grain, I went to tack up the mare that Clarice would be riding next weekend.

Patch Me if You Can, or Patches, was a six year old Paint mare, with a Chestnut Tobiano coat, that Clarice was going to ride. She was a really huge sweetheart, wanting to please anyone. Patches did love dressage, if someone could ride the way that she wanted to be ridden. She didn't need a crop or even spurs.

All she needed was a pair of strong hands that would let her have her head for a while and soft commands. She wasn't like Blue at all, who needed a little more leg and small studs to keep him moving.

"Hey, Girl," I said softly as I patted her neck. "I'm sorry, but we're going to have to use spur stumps today, since Clarice uses them." I regretted having to use spurs and a crop on her. She didn't really need it, but since this is Clarice we're talking about...

Patches whickered a little and nudged me. Trust filled her eyes as she looked at me, and my heart yearned to set her free, so she wouldn't have to deal with my step-sister.

"You know what," I said as I placed a halter on her head. "Screw crop and spurs. If she wants to be bucked off, then fine."

I led her out of the stall and into one of the cross ties where I had a saddle, bridle, and grooming kit were waiting for me. A small smile danced on my mouth as I groomed the sweet mare, letting the way she relaxed, make me relax. After I had finished grooming her, I placed her saddle and bridle on.

"Let's ride," I said grabbing my helmet, from where it hung on the metal post. My body seemed to vibrate with excitement, as I started to walk towards the ring/arena. I had a good feeling that Patches would behave, and not be a grumpy mare today, even though some days, she can be.

I pulled on my helmet as soon as I entered the ring. My heart pounded in my chest, as I was excited for the riding any horse, especially Patches or Blue. "This is going to be fun," I said to her as I tightened up the girth and unrolling my stirrups before hopping on.

Horses gave me the wings I needed to fly and the feet to dance, since I wasn't much of a dancer, even though sometimes I did dance, when my best friend forces me to dance with her.

Patches accepted the bit as I tugged the reins gently. Soon enough, I got her to dance for me.