Chapter 22 - Grandma's Birthday

"Grandma!" I hollered through the house.

"Ellie." She appeared in the hallway. "What have I said about hollering like that?"

"Everyone will be here soon."

"What's another birthday?"

"Grandma."

"I've lost track of how many I've had."

I laughed. "Grandma."

She shook her head. "This will be my last, so I might as well make the best of it."

I hated when she talked like that. "I need some help putting out the food. Are you ready?"

She nodded, brushing at her skirt. "What do you think?"

"I think you look very pretty."

She smiled. "And you invited the McAllister's?"

I hesitated. "I did, but I don't know if―"

"Oh good. It will be lovely to have them meet the family."

I sighed. When I told Ian she wanted them to come for her birthday, he was eager, but I wasn't. Mum made it clear she didn't want Ian there, and for his whole family to show up... I didn't want to think about what could happen.

The doorbell rang. I rushed to answer. My oldest brother, Todd, stood with his wife and two kids.

"Hey, Eleanora." He wrapped his arm around my neck, pulling me into a headlock. "How's it going?"

"Get off me." I shoved him.

"Todd, really." His wife pushed him aside as she dragged in their kids. "Can't you be a good example for two seconds?"

Todd chuckled and tossed me onto the couch. "That'll do, pig."

"You're a jerk," I grumbled.

"Ellie!" Rick and Olivia stepped through the door. "How you doin'? Still got that boyfriend?"

Todd swung around. "Boyfriend? This is news. Is it Benny boo?"

"Shut up." I scowled.

"No, it's President McAllister's son."

"Ooh!" Todd grinned down at me. "Trying to move up in the world, huh?"

"Shut up." I marched into the kitchen.

"Ellie." Grandma caught my arm as soon as I stepped through the door. "Is Ian here yet?"

"No, thank heavens."

"Ellie, he's―"

"It's not him, it's my stupid brothers."

She chuckled. "He'll handle them just fine."

"I hope so."

"Ellie!" Chelsea's voice rang through the house.

I rested my hand on Grandma's shoulder. "Go out there. I'll take care of things in here."

"I'd like to see my great-grandbabies. Is Charles here yet?"

I shook my head. "Todd and Rick."

"Oh!" She rushed out.

Smiling, I turned to pull the veggie-platter out of the fridge. I set things on the table as my family gathered in the living room. Mum and Dad had arrived with Chelsea, and sat with my brothers and sisters-in-law as Grandma held my niece and nephew. Gratitude filled me to see them all together like that for Grandma, but sadly, the next time we'd all be together would be her funeral.