Chapter 27 - Letters

It felt right to rain the day of Grandma's funeral. Not that it felt like the heavens were crying or something cliché like that, but because she liked the rain. She loved the way the grass smelled after a storm, and how refreshed and clean the air felt.

Ian stayed at my side the whole time. I think he felt sorry for me because I was shoved as far away from Mum as possible. My brothers and their wives and children sat in order of age, then Chelsea was seated between me and Rick so I sat right at the end. Dad was none too pleased, but he didn't want to make a scene in front of the guests.

Throughout, I didn't cry much. A glistening tear here and there, because I'd miss her, but in general, I felt happy for her. I'd read more from her journals from the early years of her marriage and felt the love she shared with Grandpa stronger than ever. I felt grateful for the knowledge I had of the eternities. As I stared at the closed casket, I knew it wasn't her inside. She was with Grandpa.

At the gravesite, beside Grandpa's grave, I watched as the casket lowered in. Mum cried loudly and clung to Dad, but all I did was squeeze Ian's hand.

The crowd dispersed, with my family the last to leave. My brothers and sisters-in-law hugged me solemnly, and shook Ian's hand, looking at him strangely. Mum had obviously told them all that happened at the hospital with him. But he didn't react.

After they moved away, Mum glanced at me. She grabbed Chelsea's arm and tugged her toward the car.

Dad sighed and stepped over to stand in front of me. "Chelsea will come and live with you for a while, until the will is dealt with and we've sold the house."

I nodded, staring at my feet.

"Ellie." He grasped my shoulders. "You have been incredible these last few months. You were always my patient and long-suffering child, but you proved yourself strong as well. Your grandmother truly appreciated it, and even during those rough months, she loved you so much."

"That's not what I'm sad about, Dad," I said softly. "I'm glad Grandma's passed on because she can be with Grandpa again. I'm sad because... because..."

Ian squeezed my hand. "Because she's lost her mother."

I nodded, tears finally streaming down my face.

"Ellie." Dad's arms wrapped around me and he held me tightly. Then he sobbed.

I pulled back to look into his face. "Dad?"

"Sweetheart, I don't know what to do. I don't know why she's doing this. She says so many things, but no matter how hard I try to resolve it, she still hurts and pushes you away. But you're still our daughter, my baby girl, so don't lose faith. I love you very much and am so grateful to have been blessed with you as my daughter."

I clung to him, burying my face into his broad chest. "I love you too, Dad."

He kissed my head over and over, before he let me go. He looked to Ian and nodded. "Make sure she gets home safe. It's been a rough day."

Ian nodded.

Dad patted Ian's shoulder, then walked toward their car.

Ian gently took my elbow and guided me to his car.

"Ian?" I said softly. "Stay with me?"

He shook his head. "Not alone. You know that."

"Then let's go somewhere so I can forget."

He sighed. "You need to pack the house and get the office ready for Chelsea to move in with you."

I stopped walking and turned to him. "Ian, I feel like you're trying to avoid me."