2. Mako

(A/N: Hello everybody! Part 2 is finally up! I hope you enjoyed the last chapter, and I tried to make this one a little longer. Mako is 32 years old, and so is Asami. Oh, and although I do ship Makorra, Korrasami happens in this universe. Rereading it, I noticed it might seem they are a couple, but they are just really close friends. Enjoy this chapter and feedback is appreciated! :)
Disclaimer: I do not own LOK, ATLA, or any of its characters. All those go to their rightful owners.)

It was his fault that Korra died.

Everybody kept telling Mako different, but he knew it was.

"You didn't cause the tornado" they said.

"You didn't push the tree that crushed her", they said.

Somehow they forgot to mention that it was him that was going to get crushed, but the stupid, selfless girl shoved him out of the way.

Mako had always admired Korra for being so brave.

Now he wanted to scream at her for it.

So that was why he had boated to the Avatar Aang Memorial Island at 1:00 a.m.

To scream at her without having to look at her face.

If he saw the dead Avatar's face, he would cry until he threw up.

Again.

Mako studied Aang's face- well, statue face- with a somber expression.

'Would he have done it?', Mako wondered. 'Knowing how important he was to the world, would he have had ended his life for a stupid firebender not nearly as important?'

That was such a stupid thing to think. Of course he would have.

All these Avatars are the same: brave, loyal, and caring.

That's what got them killed.

Mako blinked back hot tears.

"And their friends," the firebender said aloud, not even realizing he was doing so.
"Their friends get them killed. We are supposed to be there for them and we get them killed!"

The amber-eyed man's voice grew louder. Something painfully hot bubbled inside of Mako. That something had been brewing around since her death, and now it was coming to the surface.

"WE ARE SUPPOSED TO PROTECT THEM!" Mako didn't care if he woke the city up with his shouting. Let the whole world hear.
"WE ARE SUPPOSED TO CARE FOR THEM! THIS MESSED UP WORLD EXPECTS SO MUCH FROM THEM! WE ARE HERE TO HELP THEM WITH THAT PRESSURE! BUT DO WE? NO!!"

Mako wasn't sure at what point of his tantrum he had started crying, but now he couldn't stop.

"WE ARE A BURDEN! I WAS A BURDEN! JUST ANOTHER WEIGHT ON HER SHOULDERS!"

The firebender was 100 percent sure that if Korra was there she would slap him. Tell him he was being ridiculous. Roll her vibrant blue eyes. Tell him that he was one of the best friends she had ever had.

But she wasn't here.

And whose fault was that?

Now Mako was just plain screaming. Wordless, throat-tearing screaming. Screaming out his anger. At the people who had warned them of the storm, at the tornado, at the tree, at her, at himself...

Mako screamed for what felt like minutes, hours, decades...

He only stopped when he tasted blood in his throat. That reminded him of her blood spilling out from beneath the tree.

Mako vomited over the side of the railing, just like he thought he would.

After he was done puking up his guts, the firebender stumbled over to the base of the statue, curling up near Aang's feet.

"Forgive me, Korra", he whispered brokenly. Because that's what he was. A broken boy who would never see his Sun again. Who would never feel the warmth of her light again.

Mako felt a gentle hand on his shoulder. Heard a voice that jolted him upwards.

On her face was a sad smile. A smile that said, loud and clear, 'Please don't blame yourself. I love you too much for you to go through that'.

"Korra," he breathed. There were so many things he wanted to say to her, but all he could manage was "I'm sorry."

Korra wrapped her arms around his shoulders. Later, Mako would ask himself how she was able to do this if she was in her spirit form, but now all he could think about was returning the hug.

"Don't be sorry," she said softy. "Please don't be sorry. I always liked the idea of that way to go. Sacrificing yourself for the people you love. I am honored Mako, honored that I got to sacrifice myself for you."

"Remind me again why I hated you when we first met?" he questioned, and Korra laughed the laugh he wanted back so much.

The Avatar pulled away and stood up. Mako suddenly felt exhausted, like a rush of adrenaline had worn off.

"Is this some spirit-y Avatar stuff you are doing to me right now?" Mako accused through a yawn.

Korra chuckled softly. Mako could feel himself falling asleep, and panic set in. Somehow he knew when he woke, she would be gone.

"Please don't leave again," he begged, drowsiness beginning to win the battle.

The dead woman smiled for the 4th time that night.

"Oh, you stubborn firebender," she said. "I will never truly be gone. Say hello to the next one for me."

*********

The next morning, Mako woke to the confused face of Lin Beifong asking why he had fallen asleep on the island. With Korra's last sentence to him echoing throughout his mind, the answer to her question was a smile.

(A/N: I hope you all liked the chapter, and please point out any spelling or punctuation errors. See you all in the next part!)