Act III: A Boy Named Yasha "Soul and Grim Are Taken By Surprise?"

Act III:

A Boy Named Yasha

“Soul and Grim Are Taken By Surprise?”

I took Grim with me to spot out where the Hybrid and the witch were hiding out

at. We went on my bike to make things faster. It didn't take long to find a trace of the Hybrid's soul on the highway leading into town, and armed with our weapons Grim and I followed the trail to the opposite end of town from where we were staying.

The trail led us to an old run-down looking house on top of a hill that was barely visible over a stand of tall pines that shrouded the steep hill. Grim and I got off the Hayabusa as we looked up at the house, a discarded place that looked miserable and foreboding, like a nightmare.

“So this is where the Hybrid lies in hiding,” Grim said solemnly. “Do you really believe we have a chance of defeating the Hybrid and the witch, Soul?”

I squared my shoulders. “Of course I do. With a Reaper and a Death Scythe on our side, I don't see why not.”

“I don't understand my father's motives in allowing us to battle something so serious,” Grim said. “Why wouldn't he have sent your father or another Death Scythe, with more experience who can take on Death Scythe Weapon Form?”

“So we can prove ourselves,” I replied simply. “So I can prove myself, and you can prove yourself.”

“Then I suppose you should start proving yourself now,” a light voice drawled from behind us.

I whipped out my scythe at the same time Grim pulled out his guns and we turned to face whoever it was. My jaw tightened as I faced down the witch Abelinda.

Her beauty was stunning. She had golden hair that was twisted into a braid that rested on her chest and fell down her back. Her eyes were a cynical ice blue that were nearly white. Her pale skin was free of blemishes. She wore a black dress that hugged her thin, curved body. I could see snake tattoos twisting up her arms and legs. On her ruby lips was an evil grin.

Behind her, hunched over, was the Hybrid. I was taken aback when I saw him. He was a young boy, maybe thirteen years of age, also with golden hair and blue eyes. In his hands was a long black samurai sword. His eyes were fearful though, nothing like Abelinda. The resemblance between the two was startling though. Was the Hybrid her son?

“Abelinda,” I gritted through locked teeth.

“May I have the honor of knowing your names before you die?” Abelinda asked cordially.

I stepped forward into a fighting position. “My name is Soul Eater, a detective and Death Scythe from the GMATY.”

“I'm Grim the Kid, Reaper, son of Dr. Death,” Grim said fiercely.

“Abelinda, this is the day you die!” I roared, and charged her.

“Yasha,” Abelinda said in a quiet voice.

The skinny boy that was the Hybrid stepped out in front of her and raised his sword. “Banshee Shriek,” the boy said loudly.

What?

Without warning, a mouth erupted near the base of the hilt and opening its black lips, and started to scream, loud. My ears rang with the piercing sound and my feet staggered for only a moment, then I was plowing for the Hybrid named Yasha. I raised the scythe high above my head.

“Soul Fire!” I screamed, and felt my soul reach out to my weapon.

My scythe began to glow vibrant red, the color of disciple's souls, and the blade elongated from three feet to five feet. I swung at Yasha, but he brought his sword up and they collided. The collision sent reverberations down my scythe into my body, and the pain from direct contact to his Banshee Shriek made me want to pry myself away from him.

“Grim!” I shouted.

Without warning Grim came leaping over my head, firing directly at Abelinda. Using her magic she brought up a shield. I jerked my scythe and the tip cut a gash across Yasha's face. He withered and the Shriek ended, and I raised my scythe high to behead him. Could it possibly be so easy?

No, it couldn't.

The black sword came up and I barely had enough time to block before it lunged straight into my heart.

“Go after the witch,” I yelled at Grim. “Don't let her get away!”

Grim nodded and ran off after Abelinda, who was retreating. She began to fire electric bolts of light at him. I kept my eye on Grim, watching as his bullets cut through her magic. I focused on my own problem when the sword bit into my shoulder. Blood spurted out and splashed into Yasha's face. He flinched and cowered away. I swept my scythe down low to cut open his ankles at his Achilles tendon, but he jumped away and I only nicked the soles of his shoes. The sword came up at me and I rose my arm. The sword clashed against the fabric of my coat, which was thankfully bulletproof. I kicked my foot out and caught Yasha in the stomach.

The Hybrid went flying backwards and crashed into a tree. Before he could come out of his shock I was there, my scythe raised high above my head. In the background I could hear the sounds of Grim's bullets being fired. I hoped he was doing okay. I prepared to strike. The scythe came down.

I felt the impact of something deep in my gut. Blood exploded from my mouth in a red waterfall. My eyes opened in shock. Pain roared in my stomach and I threw my head back and screamed. I felt my feet leave the ground...I slid down the black blade.

I swore it was laughing.