Chapter II: New Life, Old Me

The sound of feet shuffling around could be heard as I began to wake up from my sleep. The smell of lavender entered my nose and the soft linen sheets that entangled my body made me feel at peace. 

At least for a moment until I realized my home smells like oranges and lemons. 

I sprang up from the bed and look at my surroundings. The room I was in wasn't my house and I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand. The walls were a salmon color and I could see the sun shining brightly through the window lighting everything around me. There were no pictures or any personal items to give me a clue as to where I was. With a cautious mind, I stepped out of the bed and neared the window. All I could see were trees for days and then it hit me.

Had I seriously turned into a werewolf last night? Or had something been placed in my drink to make me believe such a thing? 

I looked at my body and noticed I was no longer wearing the clothes I had worn out last night, but instead an oversized t-shirt and sweatpants. My skin didn't have fur like I saw last night and I wasn't on all fours like an animal.

The sound of footsteps brought me out of my thoughts and the turning of the doorknob made me turn around. Blonde short hair and bright blue eyes that matched the girl I had seen yesterday entered the room. "Claire, it's great that you're finally up. I was a bit worried when you passed out. Mom was gonna-"

"Who are you?" I didn't let the stranger finish her sentence.

"You don't remember? We met last night when you shifted for the first time. My name is Lydia and I'm sure you have a lot of questions."

I bit the inside of my cheeks and she sat in a chair that was placed in the corner of the room. She crossed one leg over the other and placed her hands in her lap. Lydia wore a simple olive green v-neck and ripped bleached jeans. It was hard to read her facial expressions and I wasn't sure how to react, but since she was open to asking questions I wasn't going to be too quick to judge.

"How do you know me?" I asked, sitting down on the bed.

"I don't. My father knows more of you than I do, but it is his job as Alpha to know any unknown werewolf that is staying in our territory."

"So what happened last night was real? I'm a werewolf?" 

Lydia gave me a simple nod.

"I am one too. There is a very small portion of werewolves that live in your town, but they usually don't stay long before they find a pack to stay with."

"And exactly where am I?" 

"You're in the Ember Stone pack. It's hidden within Fulton's forest...you may have heard of us as the really huge family that likes to keep to ourselves. A lot of people in your town think we are some secret cult, but that isn't true at all." she rolled her eyes.

I didn't really care to know about her pack or whatever they called themselves. My only thought was to get back home. Eden was probably worried and I didn't even want to know what my mother was thinking of my whereabouts. 

"Great. Now, Lydia, can you direct me out of this..." I trailed off.

"Pack?" she offered.

"Yes. I need to get home." 

Lydia pursed her lips.

"That won't be possible. You're a werewolf now and that means you have to meet with my father the Alpha. It is honestly amazing you have been under the radar for this long." 

My brows scrunched together in confusion. What did she mean I couldn't go home? Was I a prisoner of some sort?

"I don't know what an Alpha is nor do I care to know. If you don't let me go then I will force my way out. Just because I am a 'werewolf' doesn't mean shit."