14) The Constant Beatings

She paced across the tiled floor of the castle, tempted to bite against her nails in worry. "Liam you father hasn't returned, what do you think happened to him? Do you think he's alright?" Liam chuckled, "He'll be fine mom, I'm sure of it. He's the Dark One!" His voice was low, of a young adolescent and scoffed, "Liam, did you find anything of how you'll get back to your toddler self? You're growing so much- too much." She hugged her growing son, his arms around her too.

"Neal and I went through dad's stuff. It seems it's just a side effect of being the offspring of darkness. Darkness grows, and it grows fast. My growth is based off dad's power. I'll stop growing like a maniac once I reach seven, and I'll look like in my 20's. I promise I'll stop growing after that, but mom, since you don't have magic...I might be half human. Meaning, by the age of seven I'll look like I'm in my 80's. I wouldn't worry, because that chance is slim."

Her eyes widened, and mouth gaped open as she grabbed her son's hand, "That's a chance your father and I will not take! I want my son to live a full, happy life! I don't want you to die of old age at such a...young age." She frowned her eyebrows, surprised at her own words. "No matter, we are speaking with your father the moment he comes home after this." Liam rolled his eyes, "Really mom? I'll just get dad to pull an eternal curse on me. Sure I'll die, but at least I'll die at the correct age of ninety-nine.

"Who's dying at the age of ninety-nine? What's going on, love?" The calming and cheery voice of the Dark One wandered into the castle. "Dad! Dad! Dad!" Neal cheered, running to his father and jumping onto him with a bear hug. He was out of his armour and back into his old leather attire, but Emma saw something off of him. She didn't think, she knew. Although, all she wanted was to see him safe. "Killian, your back!" She cried in tears of joy, running towards him for a warming hug. "Why Swan? Did you think I'd really die out there?" He joked, "I'm a survivor, and that is never going to change."

"I know you're a survivor, I just never thought you'd come back without a scratch." She grinned. The Dark One's eyes faltered for a moment, guilt within. "Ah, there is someone I'd like you to meet!" He waved his hand, as two bodies collapsed to the castle floor. One, the hooded Mage. The other did not fully collapse, but leaned against the castle walls. "Emma love, these are the two misfits held captive by your father. The Mage, and his daughter Skotádi."

"A pleasure, say, what brings you two to the castle?" She asked, stretching out her hand as the girl happily took it, "He saved our lives, and we deeply thank you. If he didn't come any sooner, my father would've been nothing but ashes by that horrible King." Emma leaned down at the Mage, resting her hand over his heart, "Is he alright? He isn't breathing."

"That's because he doesn't have his heart, Swan." He answered, holding his heart, "It was a simple deal. If I retrieved his heart and daughter, he'll never work for your father again." Placing the heart in the girl's hands, he smiled, "You should do it, he gave you the heart you have now. It's only fair you return the favour." She nodded, bending down to her father as she shoved it back into his chest, followed by a sudden gasp for air.

He rose up, back on his feet looking around the room frantically util his eyes laid upon his daughter. "Skotádi! Oh, are you alright? Are you hurt? He didn't do anything to you, right?" It was a worried father caring for his matured daughter, how adorable. "Dad, I'm fine! The Dark One didn't do anything, he just brought us here." The Mage asked sceptically, "And where's here? This is nothing like our cottage."

"Hey, no one insults the castle but me." Emma joked, "Really though Killian - can you please clean Liam's room once in a while? You know he's always in the gardens or by the village square playing with his friends. Plus, I'm always busy caring for the flowers or even in your studies." He pouted, revealing his childish self, "But Emmmmaa, I'm always being summoned to ridiculous places for my errands as the Dark One. The usual, correct? Bloody drunkards summon me to wish them true love in exchange for their souls, or royals wishing for more gold; the usual."