Two

Emery

Emery Holmes was on her way to her last class of the day—Physics. Her first day at the new school had been going well, except for that fact that everyone seemed to gawk at her wherever she went. She wasn't some mythical creature, she was just the new person at school? Why the fuck did they care so much?

The school wasn't so small and she had actually gotten lost on her way to some of her classes, including physics. Emery almost wished she hadn't thrown away the map they had given her along with her schedule.

Eventually, she did manage to find the classroom, at the end of some obscure hallway that looked deserted. It was well after the bell had rung so she was late, but she knew she wouldn't get into trouble—being the new student and all—and also, she didn't really give a fuck.

She opened the door and walked straight to the teacher's desk, seeing him doing something on the computer. Emery could feel the eyes of every single student in there burning into the back of her skull. The people at this school were so weird, she thought.

The teacher looked in her direction, offering her a friendly smile. He seemed cool, she decided as she handed him her schedule so he would know she was a new student—it was something she was told to do in the office earlier that morning.

He took the paper and glanced at it briefly before nodding, "Sit where you'd like."

Emery took the schedule back and turned to see where there was an empty seat. She walked and decided to sit at the last table on the right side of the room, behind some tall blond guy. There were plenty of other seats next to people but she didn't want to sit next to anyone yet.

People had stopped staring at her and the teacher began the lesson for the day. Physics seemed easy for Emery—though she usually understood things well and quicker than most other people.

Throughout the class, Emery affirmed her conclusion from before. The teacher was actually really cool. He made the class interesting and she understood everything he was saying. Everyone else in the class, however, she realized were basically idiots. The teacher explained things to his students but half of them didn't understand and the other half weren't even paying attention. She couldn't seem to get over all the stupid questions they kept asking throughout. Who didn't understand physics?

"Oh my god, someone kill me, please," Emery groaned after yet another stupid question from some short haired girl sitting near the front of the class.

"I don't get it," the girl went on. Emery rolled her eyes and let her head fall on the table.

"These people are fucking idiots. This shit is easy," she mumbled to herself, "How can anyone not understand this shit?"

Emery heard a chuckle from in front of her and lifted her head. She noticed the blond kid she had sat down behind, he had clearly heard what she had said.

"What? It's true," she spoke and the blond haired boy looked back towards her, a smile on his face.

"You don't have to be so mean though," he replied. She particularly noticed his accent. Of course, everyone else in that school had an accent but his had something else to it.

"I guess," she shrugged, "but they can't hear me, so who gives a shit?"

"I guess," he nodded, going back to doing his work.

Emery observed he seemed to not have any problem with anything either. He also seemed kind of shy. She never understood how someone could be so shy. She made a mental note to ask him about that some other day.

"Is it hard for you?" Emery asked, not wanting the conversation to die out, mostly because she didn't want to go back to listen to the stupid girl who couldn't grasp the concept of force equals mass times acceleration.

"Are you kidding me?" he practically laughed, "This is my easiest class, well, after maths, but yeah this is pretty easy, for me."

"Oh good," Emery faked relief, "I thought I was alone in here." He chuckled and simply nodded his head. He was definitely shy or awkward or both, Emery thought to herself. "Can I sit next to you?" she asked after examining the blond for a few seconds.

"Why? Do you need help?" he raised an eyebrow at her.

"No, pfft," she scoffed, "Cause I'm done...and I'm bored as fuck."

"Oh...you're done already?" he asked and Emery merely nodded, an unamused look on her face.

"I guess so," he answered her previous question, looking a little uncertain himself. He was definitely shy and awkward, Emery concluded in her head.

"Never mind," she replied, "Gonna take a nap instead. Wake me when it's over."

"Okay..."

Just like that, Emery settled her head down on the table, trying to get as comfortable as a person could on a desk in the bright lights of the classroom, hoping she could actually fall asleep there. Emery had always found it hard to sleep somewhere that wasn't her bed, her couch, a moving car or a plane. She envied those young kids who could fall asleep standing with their necks bent to the side.

Emery was the exact opposite of Luke. She was different than a lot of people and most people actually found her strange yet, fascinating at the same time. Usually people who said they didn't care about anything or what people thought about them would simply say that and not mean it or use it as a means to cover up their true feelings.

Emery, however, was the epitome of the phrase, "I don't give a fuck."

She surprised people, not even meaning to. She was just being herself, the person she had grown into from all her past life experiences. It wasn't that she didn't care about anything and hated the entire world either, no, Emery was carefree and careless.

Emery was daring and adventurous and she literally wasn't scared of anything—or so it seemed. There were many things that had happened to Emery that could have made her turn bitter and hateful. She could had been closed-off and rude to everyone who came in contact with her, but she saw the less complicated side of her life, choosing to let go of everything that was out of her control.

Qualities like those are what made Emery so lovable. Everyone wanted to be her friend and hang out with her because she knew how to have a good time. She was a happy teenager—one of the happiest anyone could see—and she infected everyone with that happiness.

She was not perfect, by far, but Emery worked with her flaws and imperfections and made them her own. She used them to her advantage and that worked greatly in favor of her. Emery made it seem like she was utterly and completely in love with herself and her life, and she was, and she tried to let other people see that was okay. You needed to love yourself before you could even think of loving someone else.

Emery was eighteen years old. She liked to do anything she could think of to her hair, chopping it off and dyeing it a lot—practically addicted to it. There wasn't much to Emery. She liked to keep things simple and avoid all the crazy drama that came with being a teenage girl.

She took things easy and so far everything had been working out for her just fine. As she attempted to get some sleep on that hard and cold desk, Emery didn't know it yet but that was the beginning of one crazy friendship.