t w o

lost stars | jjk

lost stars | jjk

« kim minjoo »

The droplets glowed neon under the downtown lights, hissing tires on blackened streets skidding across the concrete pavement. Rhythmic taps bounced off the surface of my umbrella, rolling off the arcs of material and pooling at my leather shoes.

What terrible weather. Was this how the world decided to congratulate me?

Numb from the chilling cold, my exposed legs planted themselves on the pathway. They refused to move, coaxing a wary sigh from my lips.

It didn't feel right.

"Top mark... But why can't I feel happy?"

My stomach sank, throat tightening dry. I willed a strained smile, in disbelief, but having expected that sentence to leave past my vocal chords. I gazed ahead.

The sky bore a deep navy blue, just shy of 9:30pm.

Finally regaining control of my lower torso, I trudged forward, pushing the bothersome thoughts to the back of my mind as I stepped over each puddle of murky rainwater. My eyes remained glued to the liquid rolling off the polished surface of my shoes, hand gripped tightly around the umbrella handle.

Two leather clad feet came into view, stationed right in the middle of the deserted path. Their heels faced me, woollen socks drenched to the core with water pooling over the edges of their shoes.

My eyes travelled up their back, recognising the drenched male uniform of my school clinging onto their frame like a leech, weighed down by the splattering rain assaulting their unprotected figure.

His head arched towards the grey clouds looming above us, raindrops hitting his glowing skin as if they would go right through; the perfect nose bridge, plump lips, natural double eyelids, flawless black hair soaked down to the roots.

My hands moved on their own, pulling away from my chest and over to his broad shoulders, carrying my only form of shelter with them.

The cold droplets splashed the top of my exposed head, sending bolts of shivers down my spine.

"You're going to get sick."

His eyes drifted half open, greeting the black umbrella blocking his view of the rather depressing Seoul night.

He drew in a long breath, letting it hiss out slowly, "And that concerns you, why?"

"A cold will ruin your oh-so-great attendance record."

A bitter laugh rumbled at his Adam's apple, "I could say the same thing to you."

I blinked. Rain rolled off the strands of my hair, cascading upon the tiles and washing onto the streets to join the rising stream of water rushing down to the drains. A jolt of cold rocked my frame, feeling the icy breeze crash onto my body.