Venator Noctis

Venatores – Werewolves emerge on a full moon and are well known. On the opposite end of the lunar scale are venatores. Unlike the savage, ruthless, rage driven werewolves, venatores are silent, cunning and most importantly, almost undetectable killers. The transformation occurs when there is not a single natural light visible in the sky. This is why they are only emerging recently, artificial lighting hiding the stars completely, on moonless nights. They follow their pray into the darkness, killing them swiftly with their fearsome teeth, jaw unhinging slightly to encompass the neck in one bite, applying ample pressure to break the trachea, leaving their victims heads lolling to the side. New venatores are born when any woman is impregnated by one, or when a pregnant woman’s stomach is touched, even fleetingly, by a venator, a virus spreading to the womb converting the DNA of the child’s cells to have the correct additional genomes. As long as they feed properly once every few lunar cycles a venator will age slower and have a longer lifespan than a regular human, otherwise they will live just like a normal human, apart from when they change, if they are lucky. If not they will be more susceptible to disease, making it necessary for them to hunt. This susceptibility has recently been taken advantage of as hospitalized venatores make their best efforts to contaminate unborn children. A venator born from contamination is less like to lead a collective, the best candidates for a leader come from a regular pregnancy, either between two pure venatores, or from a woman impregnated by a previous potential leader.

Latin: Venator Noctis – hunter of the night

-------------------

If you have a better name suggestion I would reaally like to hear it, try as I might I can't think of anything good for them.