1-Prologue

1-Prologue 

Positive.

The test was f- ing positive. Damn it. 

Norma gripped on the pregnancy test as if that would change the result. She shook her head in disbelief and sighed in frustration for the millionth time. She looked again. The white stick laid on her red palm with two blue lines. Two lines that marked her future. 

What was she going to do?

She couldn't abort. Her parents would find out. She needed a solution. And a quick one. 

...

Years later...

Blue.

That was Angelica's favorite color. 

It was the eyes of her parents that drew her to own an obsession for the color. For her, it was hard to look in the mirror and see brown orbs staring back instead of blue ones. It was strange how her eyes were the only brown ones in her family but she had no siblings to compare to. She didn't even look much like her parents to start off with, well maybe a bit like her mom. People said that the way Angelica talked and laughed was similar to her mom's. Her mom would also say that Angelica looked like one of her aunts that lived in Portugal. However, Angelica could see her mother in herself but she didn't have a bit of anything from her dad.

It wasn't talked about a lot, it wasn't even noticed. Her dad was always drunk and her mother was either working or strung on drugs, both parents too intoxicated to even see the small details. No one could blame them. People who knew them knew that Angelica wasn't really 'planned' by her parents. Angelica's mother had gotten pregnant early in her relationship with Adrian. The couple got settled together for the sake of their daughter but they were too young to understand the hardships of raising a child. Young love was not enough to last through.

Yet they never brought up the fact that Angelica did not seem related to her father. Until Angelica finally asked her parents at dinner. At school, Angelica built a family tree and had to present it to her class. All her six-year old classmates asked why she didn't have blue eyes and why she seemed unrelated to her father. The question burned in her mind until she could not hold it anymore at dinner.

"Mom, why don't I look like my dad at all?"

Her mother froze at the question, it caught her off guard but she knew it was going to come at some point and she practiced the answer in her mind for six years, but then she casually had answered, "Well it is because you look like me sweetheart."

Angelica frowned and shook her head. She knew that she didn't look like her mother completely. "No, dad showed me a family picture of your family and his last time when he was looking for money in the attic. I don't look like anyone at all."

Angelica's mom kept eating, slowly and steady as she thought about what she'll say, and she didn't notice her husband stop to think.

"Baby, you look like your aunt Francisca. Just eat your food please."

Minutes passed and Angelica's mom realized her husband was not saying anything but was deep in thought. She had no idea what he was thinking.

What she also didn't know was that Adrian would get curious after Angelica's question. His mother, from the beginning of his relationship with Norma, had always warned him about Norma's bad nature. Yes Norma was around many guys in their teenage years but he never saw her as unfaithful. Adrian has always believed that Norma loved him from the very beginning.