Chapter Four | The Truth or a Lie

[AUTHORS NOTE]

Since this story is nearing its end (plenty more to come, but it is the last part) I think I've found a great new author, story, and character for you guys to enjoy! Sage Abernathy is a great character that has great potential to become something amazing! Go check out @the_oni_one and her story Technicolour Beat!! Also, be sure to fill out the form for your choice of three short stories! It will be open for two more days!

Stay classy loves

_____

    Quinn had spent most of her time in training since she had been placed in First Response-- they wanted everyone on First Response to be ready to head off to District Two as soon as possible. In fact, the sooner, the better. The original plan was that they were going to get dropped off not far from Two and get in and then get as many innocents as Command called them, out as possible. But now, the first priority was to get in and make sure there were enough safe houses, help those houses stock up on food, and figure out the new Peacekeeper schedules without drawing too much attention to Lyme.  Quinn liked the first plan better, but what she thought didn't matter when it came to what Finn Benson thought was best.

    Marcus was really the only one who made it clean he didn't agree with Finn. In his own words Finn was a aggressive, impulsive bigot who only thought of the quickest way to get things done. And Quinn couldn't entirely disagree. Once, when she was in tech, meeting with Beetee about the squads weapons, she was joined by Jules. She had tried to get Jules to admit that what Finn convinced Coin was right wasn't. But she wouldn't really say whether she agreed or not-- probably just to keep her position as second in Command.

    Anyway, since she had spent most of her time doing things to help get First Response ready-- she hadn't been able to do much for Finnick and Annie's wedding. She had to tell Annie she couldn't go with her and Katniss to the Victors Village in Twelve to look for something nice that she could wear. That was devastating to Annie-- Annie explained that Quinn was really the only person besides Finnick that she really knew well and wanted at the wedding for sure...but she understood after Quinn explained that she couldn't risk skipping training. However, Coin gave Quinn the day before the wedding off to get rested...mainly so she would be well rested for the day after wedding.

Quinn was sitting in the cafeteria in her usual spot, however without Colemen who had chosen not to skip training that day so he would be eating the next shift. Quinn kept her eyes down, avoiding any eye contact. The was sitting at a table with a few people who were from District Thirteen-- younger people who she had never interacted with. And she liked it that way.

"Mind if I join you?"

Quinn didn't say anything at first, "You're going to anyway..." she sighed heavily, looking up at Gale Hawthorne as he set his tray down and then lowered himself down next to her.

"You looked like you needed some company," he stated.

"Actually, I was doing just fine. I was actually going to go and sit with Prim-" she said, beginning a lie that wasn't well rehearsed at all. This shift had a handful of people she knew. Prim and Mrs. Everdeen-- Katniss too a few days of the week. Arcturus, Hadley and Nia, Orion, Haymitch, and Gale. Before she was put on First Response, she avoided Gale at all costs. Mostly because of their first meeting after she woke up, he quizzed her for any information she had on what happened in the Capitol-- for information that she didn't necessarily have.

"And avoid me all together?"

Quinn forced out a light chuckle, "Of course not."

Gale scoffed, "You're an awful liar." he replied as he took a bite of his food.

She shrugged, "That's not the first time I've heard that," she paused, "Do you need something?"

Gale shook his head, "Does everyone need something to talk with you?" he asked.

"Well, usually that's how it goes." she replied.

"I don't need anything," he stated, "I just didn't feel like sitting with people I have to train with."

She thought for a moment, "By people you mean Orion, don't you..."

He nodded.

"Why?" she asked.

Gale glanced at the people from Thirteen who surrounded them, but they didn't seem to be paying much attention. "Coin wants us all to be careful around him," he responded. They both glanced over at the table where Arcturus sat with Orion and a handful of other refugees who had made it to Thirteen on foot. "She doesn't think it's a good idea for any of us to get too close to him." he added, "Not that he makes that very easy in the first place."

Quinn rose an eyebrow, "What do you mean?"

"He doesn't talk to anyone. The only two people he really talks to is Katniss and Finnick," he said, "He doesn't want to trust any of us just about as much as we don't want to trust him."

"I don't think he's the person you need to be worried about," Quinn replied, "No matter what Coin says about it..."

Gale rose an eyebrow, "You trust him again?" he asked.

Quinn shrugged. After the dream she had, of just remembering things that had happened-- out of everything, anything that had anything to do with Orion seemed the most sincere. The more she thought about it, the more she couldn't find a reason to not trust him-- the only reason she had was Coins far fetched theory that he had been a mole for the Capitol the entire time since she won her games...and that just didn't make sense. There was no way that Snow would have foreseen any of this and thought to have his grandson be a spy for him.

"He's got me to Thirteen in the first place," she shrugged, "You trusted him enough to help him back in Twelve." she stated. Reminding him of the fact that he easily could have left Orion in the woods and only helped Hannah and Quinn.

Gale sighed, "It's just suspicious...Coin has a point." he replied, "It would make sense that he would help his grandfather."

Quinn shook her head confidently, "No, I don't think is does." she replied.

Whether what Coin was saying was the truth or a lie-- Quinn decided that she couldn't simply turn her back on Orion. Not after everything he had done for her.