Ch. 5 Persistance

Natalie kept her pace slow, making sure he was gone. She let out a deep breath and brought herself to a stop when she knew he was out of sight.  

He couldn't see her real reaction to him. The butterflies in her stomach wouldn't calm down and as much as she told herself attraction to any man was unsafe right now, she couldn't help her heart from leaping when he set his focus on her. 

She knew him. She immediately felt the connection. But that scared her. What if he was someone from her past? Natalie could be in danger and not even know it because she couldn't remember anything before her attack.  She was warned to be safe and be cautious until her memory returned.   

He had caught her off guard, thinking about problems with her water heater, when he approached her.  That was her first mistake.  She usually turned men away easily but when she took in his dark features and rich smile, she caught her breath. He was hot. There was no denying that. His shirt pulled taunt again his large chest muscles. Thank God he wasn't aware of her reaction.  He could be her attacker and she would have no clue.  Not until something triggered a memory of that night.  

She tried to focus on her breathing, inhaling a large breath of air and letting it out slowly.  She cautiously started to run towards the other side of the lake, surveying the perimeter to make sure he was gone.

"Just think about the hot water heater," she repeated to herself. Maybe she should ask her boss to help with the water heater.  He seemed trustworthy and he was always willing to help her out. Maybe he could come out and look at it and find out what was wrong. For all she knew, it could be something minor. 

"One more question-"Natalie jumped, letting out a shriek at the sound of his voice. 

Shit.  Where did he come from?  Did he see her stop? Did he know she had to recompose herself. She needed to be careful. There was no way knowing if this man was safe.  

Sigh reached out to put his hand on the small of Natalie's back to settle her down.  She jumped again at the contact. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," his smooth voice told her.

She brought her hand up to her chest, taking in a deep breath. His hand felt so warm. And those damn butterflies needed to settle down.

"No it's okay. I just didn't know that you were still around," she told him, trying to continue walking and not show him that she was nervous.

"You okay?" he asked her.

"Yes.  I'm fine. What was your question?" she tried to redirect him, continuing her pace. 

"Question?" he asked, as if he lost his train of thought.

"Yeah, you said you had one more question," she clarified.

"Oh yeah," he laughed to himself, "Since you won't accept my lunch invite, could you still suggest a good place to eat?  I would like to treat my friends to a nice dinner," he started, "and I don't know of any good places. Do you have any suggestions?" he asked.

His voice seemed so familiar. She tried to ignore it. 

'Just get away from him,' she reminded herself.  That's what Charlene would've advised her.  Even though the connection she felt, felt ... safe.  She couldn't know for sure until they found her attacker.  

She thought honestly for a minute, giving her answer much attention, trying not to focus on his chest muscles and how they stretched his shirt just right.

"What kind of food do you like?" she asked him, trying to narrow down her choices.  She kept her pace even, walking at a brisk pace.

"Well ...what's your favorite food?" he asked her, keeping in stride with her.

"That doesn't matter. You're not bringing me out to dinner," she answered cautiously.

"Maybe I'm suggesting you come along too," he hinted.

"I'm sorry, but that isn't going to happen," she warned him, the butterflies returning. She had to be careful. Even if he was really... really hot and her body screamed to accept his offer.

"Okay ... I get it. How about Italian?" he asked.

"Well ... there's Belini's downtown, or Laguina's. Both of them have great food," she answered, trying really hard to not look at him. 

"Which one do you like better?" he asked her, stopping their pace so he could focus on her.

"Lagunia's is smaller, more intimate. So you're not talking over everyone around you. But the food at Belini's is better," she explained, naturally stopping with him.

"Gotcha. I think I'll stick with Belini's then. Thanks," he told her, his million dollar smile charming the butterflies in her stomach to take flight again.

"Your welcome. Now, I must really be heading home. I have to get ready for work," she informed him.

"Oh really. Where do you work?" he asked her.  Why was he asking so many questions?  Didn't this guy take a hint.   

"Good bye," she rolled her eyes and started to take off away from him, hoping he wouldn't follow.

"Okay? Well thanks for the help," he called after her, remaining still in the center of the trail.

"You're welcome," she called out, forcing herself not to look back at him.  Which was proving to be more difficult than she ever imagined.  If only she could remember everything.  If only she knew for sure he was safe.  Oh, the pleasures she would indulge in if only ...