6. Small surprises

I have to admit, I was shocked. It was a small, brief kiss, but it made my heart beat a million miles a minute. He pulled away and smiled, brushing my hair out of my face. I probably looked like a homeless tramp even with the clean nails and new clothes. He looked at me with his beautiful brown eyes and put his hands on my shoulders.

"I would never replace you Lucy," he whispered. With that, he turned and collected his rapier, looking back one last time as he strode through the door.

I shrunk down the wall and, reviewed the past five minutes in my mind over and over again. I probably sat there for another five minutes, smiling like an idiot, before I shook my head and went to take a shower.

I was in a good mood. I was in a great mood. I floated down the stairs after my shower and stopped right in the doorway of the kitchen. George and Lockwood were all having a heated discussion. Holly sat quietly at the table, and I shrunk back, listening. I know, I know, eavesdropping is not good, but I couldn't help it.

"Why did you let Holly organise the meeting without our consent Lockwood!?" George asked.

"George! Give her a break, she is the best thing that could have happened to Lockwood and Co," snapped Lockwood. That was the first time I had heard him snap at someone like that. For anyone's sake.

"Lockwood, I can understand where George is coming from. I am sorry that I didn't tell you about the meeting," Holly said.

"It's fine Holly, no harm done at all," Lockwood reassured her, putting his hand on her arm and leaving it there.

"What about Lucy? She seemed pretty annoyed that she was being left out." George retorted.

"Lucy is fine. I've sorted it all out. She just gets wound up about little things sometimes." sighed Lockwood, wiping back his hair.

I stepped back, confused and hurt, and the floorboards creaked under my foot. Lockwood's head whipped towards me and guilt flickered in his eyes. "Lucy, I. . ."

I just glared and stalked into the room, making myself a sandwich and slumped down next to George as Lockwood and Holly sat on the other side.

"Lucy?" Lockwood ventured, but I cut him off quickly, and the tension in the air was obvious. "Well, I'm gonna go pack our duffels for tomorrow night. George, would you mind helping me?" Holly asked, and they crept out of the kitchen, leaving Lockwood and I alone to talk.