Untitled Part 10

I stood there with the box in my hands for a while, until I heard chattering up the stairs, and the "Crunch CRUNCH" of George's crisps. Lucy was first to emerge up the staircase, glaring at me, and George followed closely behind. "CRUNCH. CRUNCH. Thbo. . . howbidgoa?" I took that to mean "so, how'd it go?"

"It went very well," I intervened, just in time to stop Lucy right before she unleashed a hail of insults at me. She just glared me with crossed arms, and tapped her foot. She wasn't a tall figure, but even with her slim build, she could actually be pretty scary when she tried. Her brown bangs fell into her face, fluttering slightly in the breeze. Hazel brown eyes searched my face, shining in the moonlight. . . "Are you going to say something, genius?"

I blink, and shake my head. "Sorry. . . George?"

The boy stopped with a crisp halfway to his mouth. ''What?"

"Could you go find a payphone and call Holly to pick us up? Lucy and I will stay here."

"But-" Lucy interjected.

"No-" George interrupted.

"Just go George. Lucy, I just want to talk to you." She glares at me again and walks to the window, and George sighs.

"Whatever. Don't kill each other while I'm gone," he whines. Pushing his glasses up his nose, he was gone in a minute, leaving me alone with Lucy.

"Lucy? Can we talk?" I asked, walking up to the window to stand next to her.

"Whatever. Go ahead. I have nothing better to do anyway," she said, before sniffling. Wait, sniffling? Was she. . . crying?

"Lucy. . . I swear, I never meant what I said. I'm so sorry." She turned to me and I saw a shining streak down her face. I reached a hand up to wipe it away, and she pushed it away. "Lucy. . . please. . ."

She raised her hand, about to slap me. . . but stopped. "I don't believe you. You only kissed me because of my clothes."

"I never gave you any reason to trust me, I know, but I swear. I didn't change my mind because of your clothes. I don't give a damn about your looks, Luce. With or without your new clothes, you're still you. I wouldn't want you to change a thing about yourself."