The Mundane

"How does he expect me to stay here while they're out killing demons all night!?" Camille paced the kitchen thinking to herself while nibbling on a carrot stick. She hardly breathed as she went. Isabelle left some kind of unidentified goop looking substance on the stove. Isabelle may have gotten her mothers beauty, but she definitely did not inherit her cooking skills. Maryse made the most amazing food Camille had ever tasted, whereas Isabelle could hardly boil water.

The same thought kept going through her head: Follow them!

After several paces, she began to narrow her mind on it. "Hodge would never let me out," She said aloud to no one. "He would know I would follow them," She pounded softly on her forehead with her fist. "I must be out of my mind." She muttered. Hugo had flew into the kitchen and landed on the bar stool. Wherever Hugo was, Hodge wasn't far behind (Jace Herondale, City of Bones). "What are you staring at, stupid bird?" She snapped at it.

Obviously, they were not very fond of each other. They were, until he launched himself at her a couple days after she had just moved in. After that, they never saw eye to.... Beak. Hugo sounded his master with a loud caw. Camille scoffed and rolled her eyes as hatred shown through. A moment later, Hodge entered the room. His hands were rubbing together as he looked into the pot of gruesome food on the stove. His expression drained as he caught a whiff of it.

"I do believe I will be ordering out tonight," He said to no one in particular. "I don't believe we can even get Church to eat this." He turned to Camille with a slightly disgusted look. Camille let out a forced laugh.

"I don't think so, either." She laughed harder as a plan formed in her head. "You know, Hodge," She began as she made her way over to the refrigerator and scanned through to find something they were out of. When it seemed everything they needed was there, she glanced over her shoulder. Hodge was hunched over the pot of food, examining a spoonful to see if it were edible. Camille grabbed the carton of the practically full, and nearly new, milk and threw it into the garbage can. The thud it made when it hit the bottom captured Hodge's attention. "We seem to be out of milk." She said casually closing the refrigerator door. He looked at her suspiciously. He walked over to the fridge and opened the door. He looked back at Camille with an eyebrow raised.

"I thought I asked Jace to pick some up just yesterday..." He tapped his chin as he wondered if he had gone mad.

"I guess it just slipped his mind..." Camille smirked to herself as her plan was going precisely as she had hoped. "You know what," She turned to face Hodge with a bright expression. "We have cereal in the cupboards and without milk, Alec will go crazy! Why don't I just slip out for a couple of minutes to go pick some up?" Suspicion was replaced with worry. Hodge shook his head.

"I can't let you do that! The sun is almost setting and it's much too dangerous for you to go alone!" He continued to shake his head. Hugo seemed to laugh at her as her plan fell to pieces.

"But Hodge," She reached out and grabbed his forearm tightly but reassuringly. "I'm practically an adult! I can take some weapons and be back before you know it." She looked at him with glassy, assuring eyes. This seemed to win him over a bit, though he was still hesitant.

"Jace wouldn't like it," He began to pace just as she did before he came in.

"Jace isn't in charge!" She pointed out. His eyes flicked her way.

"Do you promise to come back as soon as you've got the milk, and only the milk! I don't want you running off with any demon boys-"

"Hodge! I promise! You can trust me not to pick up any demon boys." She placed her hand on her heart. "I swear by the Angel that I will not mess around after I have retrieved the milk." There was a hint of amusement as she swore. Hodge nodded and let her go. Making her way out of the kitchen, she stuck her tongue out at Hugo. She ran into the weapons room and tucked a dagger and her stele inside her black boot. She armed herself with a sword and two more daggers in her belt. She went into her room. Her bed lay cady-cornered on the back wall. She had a vanity table that Isabelle had given to her for her first birthday she had spent with them. It was covered with makeup that she never used. It was all still in it's package seal except for some eyeliner and mascara that she frequently used. Everything else was just a waste of money that Isabelle tried to spend on her. She pulled a short purple party dress and a pair of silver pumps from her closet. She remembered Jace always explaining how ridiculous everyone dressed at Pandemonium, so she got creative. She painted on some eyeliner just under her bottom eyelid and scraped the mascara brush over her eyelashes. She decided that for this time (and this time only), that she would open the eye shadow that was handed down from Mrs. Lightwood. When her eyes were done, she slid a thin layer of nude pink lipstick over her lips. She ran her fingers through her hair and twisted it up, leaving a couple stands loose from it.