Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

I swing the front door open and recognize the jingling bells that signal when a costumer arrives. After heading straight to the back of the kitchen, I grab my pink polka dotted apron and check over the schedule of the sweet treats to be picked up today. Hearing the jingling bells I look up to see Andrea walking into the shop. Andrea is my right hand girl, if it wasn't for her there would be no Bailey Bakery. She answers the phone, takes orders, rings people up, and sometimes she even enjoys a little bit of baking with me. Through this operation she has also become one of my closest friends.

"Good morning sweet cheeks" she greets me with a smile and a kiss on the cheek as usual, she's always affectionate, she really has the sweetest heart.

"Good morning darlin' " I said with a little bit of a southern drawl, earning a laugh from Andrea. I can't help but look at her in envy as her perfect lips turn up in a smile that reveal her perfectly straight pearly whites. I watch her saunter over to the register and observe her brown wavy hair cascade down her back as I curse my bland brown hair in a messy bun upon my head. Andrea was beautiful and I can't help but smile as to how oblivious she is to her natural beauty. I shake my head and return to the rear of the kitchen and get to work. Andrea and I engage in small talk and spark a conversation in her latest beau:

"So is he Mr. Right you think?" I question

" I don't know I just feel like all guys are jerks ya know? After the one thing and one thing only."

I snicker and respond with an exasperated, "yeah."

She looks at me quizzically and questions, "Charlie, why don't you ever go out with anyone?"

Her questioning amuses me and with a shake of my head I respond, " oh Andrea I haven't got time to play fifty first dates."

"We'll why don't I set you up with someone?"

I break my stare on the dough kneading in my hands and raise my head in response with a raised eyebrow.

"What?!"

"Remember what happened last time.."

Her eyebrows furrowed around her almond shaped eyes and released when she remembered she set me up on a blind date who burped in my face at dinner and left the bill for me to pay.

"Oh yeah...sorry about Tom, he was a jerk."

"Yeah!" I half laughed. I returned to the dough between my finger tips braiding the three separate pieces of raw ingredients between my digits.

"At least let me try again."

When the dough rests in a perfect braid, I respond with an unsure," I'll think about it."