Failure

Now I think this is something swimmers can relate to more than anybody.  I'm gonna use my self as an example. I'm gonna state that I am by far not the fastest swimmer out there. I needed to shed just one measly second in my 100 Breast to make the JO cut and walk away from the pool deck dancing. But what do you know, I added. And I don't think it's because  I was physically hard, or that I got tired or that I wasn't ready. I over though the race, I got nervous and I focused to much on it. Instead of waking off the pool deck dancing I buried my head in my dads shoulder and stayed like that for a good couple of minutes. After that, I found out  a really good friend of mine ( who was also trying for the JO ) made the cut by 2 seconds and I added. I didn't want to go to sleep that night because every time I closed my eyes I just though about all the bad that I did in that race, how I could have been better, how I could have pushed harder, streamlined harder, went to more practices ( even though I know I go to a decent amount, 5-6 a week ) listened to my coach, been more prepared so I could get out of the pool victorious. And I had done all those things but in my mind, I failed. I think that was the first race I truly, really, honestly regretted. So, what did I do? First I thought, and then I realized that was the problem. Forget it. This probably isn't your first bad race and it won't be your last. So I did. I forgot that race and decided that when all my friends are tapering for stupid JOs I was just going to be practicing harder. But I'm not saying ignore you're failures, even though it may sound like it. I guess I don't know what I'm saying except that, good luck in the mean world that is the pool.

- Sush