Chapter 5: Revelation

Jason POV

I dug my heels into the ground as the wolves broke into a run towards me. It is just you and I, Era. I said to my wolf, blinking out the sweat from my eyes. From the metallic smell and sting, I knew it was mixed with blood. My blood.

"Not my son!" A voice that belonged to my mum rang out from behind me. I turned to see my mum running towards me. She moved so gracefully. Then I realized she was gliding not running, behind her was my dad, my sister and our pack's war wolves. I almost never noticed the huge midnight black wolf that trailed behind her as she glided forward. Alpha Derrick. His wolf blended so well with the shadow only to be illuminated by a blazing ball of pure white energy heading my direction. My eyes widened with shock.

I managed to crouch just in time for the energy to sail over me, hitting the first wolf in midair. It exploded, sending photons of light into the air. The air around grew hot as ashes rained on me. I turned to see two other wolves get smitten by the light. It didn't do much harm but their furs were burnt off leaving a blistered skin in view.

Alpha Derrick pounced on the closest wolf ripping it head in two, ending its agony in seconds. The fight started all around me, wolves snarled against one another as they collided.

"Are you alright?" My mum hugged me tightly. A wave of relief washed over me. I sank deeply into her, sobbing. I couldn't believe I was saved in nick of time. I'd face death few minutes ago, knowing I would not make it alive or unscarred or even dead if they wished to have me so.

"Yes....I'm fine." I managed to say. My sister hugged me as soon as mum's hold on me softened.

She pulled me up. "I am sorry Jason." She cried, planting few kisses on my head. I snuggled closer to her basking in the soft heat that emanates from her against the cold forest breeze.

A cold chill washed over me as I heard an explosion. I gasped. Bella stiffened for a moment then quickly step forward hiding me behind her. I snarled quietly. I'd had enough of people shoving me behind whenever there's danger. I moved to stay behind her meeting her fiery gaze with a determined look. I won't stay behind. I thought.

I watched as a blue shimmering light divided us and the other wolves attacking. It flared up brightly, lightening the forest in a blue glow. I felt warm as it continued to glow. It was a transparent shield holding the other wolves at bay.

I surveyed the area quickly making a quick check on our casualty. Tears filled my eyes as the ground littered with limp wolves. I wasn't sure if they were dead but surely they weren't moving. I held back a sob as I envisioned them as fathers or brothers of some pack members. They had sacrificed themselves to save a common pack member. A weak wolf, son to the Pack's Beta.

Alpha Derrick was in front, snarling at the barrier mum had conjured. His eyes unswerving from the other wolves at the end. I wasn't surprised to see they were six of them left. Half of them dead. One burnt to ashes while others had either been torn to bits and pieces or without their head They were really strong, I thought. They held up pretty much against the pack war wolves that had outnumbered them.

I shuddered as the mystery man from the wood materialized in front of his wolves waving to them to stand down. He walked tentatively to the shimmering barrier holding his hands out to touch it. A smile crept on his face has his hands ran along the barrier. He closed his eyes and his smile broadened.

"I know of only one person that can raise a shield of this sort." He said, his eyes searching as though he couldn't see beyond the shield.

"Sophia......" He grinned. "I know you are out here."

I stiffened alongside my sister as he called out for my mum. I glanced at her. No one calls her that except dad. She did look surprised and also wore a worried look. Bella and I shared the same look as mum stepped forward gingerly.