Chapter 6 - Part II

*Inside Evil and its sequels are available on Amazon, Kobo, B&N, Smashwords and iBooks*  

Roberta sat opposite Mr Swithburn nursing her throbbing hand. The headmaster sat quietly, as if trying to gather his thoughts. He looked up at her every now and then as if he were to say something, before sheer bewilderment crossed his face and he once again looked down at his lap.

Roberta was mortified. She was about to lose her job, there was no way around it. She'd hit a pupil. She rolled the words over in her brain continuously. She, Roberta Arlington, had actually hit a pupil. And not a quick slap or a push, but a full clench fisted punch to the face. Not only was she about to lose her job, she was about to be involved in a serious assault on a minor and face criminal charges. She was going to lose everything. Her job, her career, and even her home. There was no way she'd be able to stay in Ridgewood after this incident. Though it was only a short time since the incident had occurred, most of the small town would probably already be talking about it, whispering the gossip through the streets so that it became even more distorted and she became an even bigger monster than she already felt like.

Roberta was so upset that she couldn't even cry, she simply felt a numb loathing, not unlike the feeling she'd had when she'd discovered Vanessa Lingly's body. Lingly, this had all started with her. The sleepless nights, the depression, the lack of motivation. It had all started with Lingly, and then the mother, of all people, should start nosying around the school. Roberta began to fume. What right did Mrs Lingly have to come into the school whenever she wanted to poke about? To upset students? To come into Roberta's territory without seeking permission?

From the other side of the desk, Malcolm Swithburn placed his hands upon his chair and stood up.

"You understand that this is very, very serious," he said flatly.

Roberta fidgeted in her chair. "Yes, I do understand that, but you must understand that this was an accident."

Malcolm's eyes rose, "So, your defence will be that you were trying to punch the mother of a recently deceased pupil instead?"

"Well, no, Malcolm, I'm not sure what came over me. Emily was crying, Mrs Lingly lunged forward and..,"

"And you decided you needed violence to calm the situation?" Malcolm interrupted with astonishment "What the hell has got into you?"

"She wasn't supposed to be here, she was trespassing on the premises! If she hadn't been here none of this would have happened!"

"I can't believe what I'm hearing." He shook his head in amazement "You truly think you can backpedal your way out of this? We are not here to talk about Mrs Lingly. We are here to talk about your actions. The actions of which have resulted in a girl, under my care, bearing the brunt of a violent assault."

"I know, but if Mrs Lingly hadn't been here, then the assault wouldn't have even taken place," Roberta snapped back.

"Enough." Malcolm was furious and his raised voice penetrated deeply into Roberta, sending a wave of panic through her. She was suddenly most aware of the words that had spilled from her mouth. Words which didn't reveal her true feelings in any way. Words which were so out of context that she herself was shocked. Her hatred for Mrs Lingly had erupted from nowhere, and it was only now that Roberta could see the chain of events that had led to this demise. Overhearing a group of bemused pupils that two women were hiding in the girl's toilets, before accosting one of the students to discover that it was Mrs Lingly and her friend. Having the sudden and uncontrollable urge to make a direct beeline for the dormitories, in particular, Emily's room. Striding straight in without a second thought to confront Mrs Lingly, before losing all self control and wanting to beat every inch of life out of Susan's smug face. The fire had been hot in her stomach, and at that precise instant, sheer rage had taken over every cell in her body. Most sickening of all was a fact that Roberta tried not to dwell upon. Had Emily's face not born the punch and it had landed where it was intended, she would have continued pummelling knuckle into flesh until being hauled away.

"Roberta, I'm suspending you pending an inquest. I cannot pretend that this won't end in your permanent dismissal from this school and certainly every other one in the country. The police will also have to be informed. You may go to the staff room, collect your things and leave immediately."

Sitting, now silent, opposite her employer, Roberta felt the consequences of her actions suddenly flood through her body. She bit her trembling lip as the implications of what had happened finally sank into her. Her career was over. She had hit a pupil, and these were the repercussions of those actions, not of anyone else. Roberta was not a violent person, she'd never lifted a finger to anyone before, yet she'd brought her first punch down with all the force and precision of a heavy weight boxer.

Slowly and surely she got up and walked to door, which was now being held firmly open by Malcolm.

"I'm sorry," Roberta said choking back tears. "I really am."

"Sorry won't cut it this time," Malcolm replied, closingthe door behind her and moving to his desk to make a call.    

*I will be posting one or two scenes a week as the story builds. However, if you can't wait that long, Inside Evil is available on Amazon, Kobo, B&N, Smashwords and iBooks.

If you want to know more, visit geoffreywakeling.com, sign up to my newsletter, visit my Facebook or Tweet me. Thanks for reading, I appreciate your support.*