22. Cowboys and Hybrids

Kol's POV:

Seeing the cowboy-style man step up to Grace's door I pounced off the car, ready to flick him out of the way as well. At the moment, I really just wanted to get out of here and away.

But then she answered the door, and set down her suitcase. This made me hesitate, as did the caring look in her eyes that she gave the man in front of her. She obviously knew him. And I felt like I was intruding on something. But I was too curious to back away.

As I got closer to the house, I heard my love mutter. "Hey Dad."

Of course. Her father. Maybe I should leave. Or maybe not. Maybe she still wanted to go. Feeling very conflicted, my legs were glued to the spot, and I heard the rest of their conversation.

"Your Mother called, said you were a bit, out of control?" He seemed like a nice old' chap. But I could see Grace getting more and more frustrated with him and his twangy accent,

"I'm eighteen now. I don't need a babysitter." She huffed, and crossed her arms.

He just gestured towards her bag, and grinned. "Oh look! You're already packed! Sweet, we're all good to go then."

She just stood there, mouth gaping, and I smirked, struggling not to laugh. Her father carried on, peering inside.

"It looks like your Mum is sound asleep sweetheart, so come on, hop on the car. You're staying with me for a week. She already agreed to this, so don't give me that scowl."

Grace was giving him the worst dirty look I had ever seen on her, and I knew she could take him down in seconds, and hoped the good in her would come through. As I watched, her father grabbed her suitcase, and lugged it into his car, before turning back and smiling at her.

She crossed her arms, and closed her eyes, trying to stay in control. Her father stared at her like she was a lunatic, and he was getting impatient. Opening her eyes, she looked around, until she spotted me around the side of the house. She smiled weakly, before miming for me to call her after, and jogging over to her Dad, and hopping in to the fire truck red vechile.

Oh this would be fun. And maybe, this was what Grace needed to give her a part of human life back. Some time away, and with someone so completely human, that she would never think about hurting.

I waved as the car pulled away, suprised that he had not seen me, and she just leaned against the window, tracing patterns into the dense fog steaming up the glass. It sure was cold out. I better get home.

Jogging back to the car, I glanced at Tyler, laying limply in his Ferrari. Maybe I should be a decent person and get him home too. I lifted him up, lugging him over my shoulder, and strolled down the road. Anyone looking at this scene right now would be sincerely freaked out.

####

Klaus's POV:

It had been an hour since I had sent Tyler to go protect Grace. And nothing. I was still at the Salvatore house, making my way through their liqour supply. They were off somewhere doing things. Probably things to do with Elena. I decided to call the Lockwood boy, seeing as I could never trust anyone but myself these days.

He didn't answer for six rings, and then his voice was oddly groggy and tired.

"H-hello?"

"Where the hell are you? What happened!"

I scowled, and shot up, slamming my hand into the wall, which knocked down a painting. He answered slowly.

"I can't really remember. I got there, saw Grace, and I was sitting in my car. Then all of a sudden, snap!"