1: Pre-Hell with Matt the Devil

Two weeks were left before my senior year started.

I was in our backyard, laying down on the hammock near our pool, with a book in hand. The sun was hiding behind the clouds which made it the perfect weather to swim in our pool, but since Matthew Evans was occupying it, I didn't feel like swimming anymore.

My mom, dad and Natty and Oscar Evans were chatting and laughing loudly, as they did in the '90s Prom documentary mom showed me a million times. The highlight of the video was when my dad ran up the stage, yanked the microphone from the a guy named Michael Michaels' hand and sang some love song horribly to court my mom.

Of course my mom was swept off her feet.

Eight years later, my mom gave birth to me. The year before that, the Evans had their first child, who was miles away right now, being in a prestigious school. I haven't seen him for nearly eight years, but he used to be my best friend.

Matt Evans was a year younger than his brother, and was the same age as me.

The both of us went to the same school. We were classmates almost in all subjects every year, and boy, did he make it his life goal to hold his number one spot in my Most Hated Douchebags of Felixbert High. He was your typical troublemaker, but one that actually manages to get A pluses in his classes.

He and I were fighting over the first honor spot in school. And he managed to do that even with a highly stained student report. That really annoyed the hell out of me.

Matt was Felixbert's best swimmer, and he didn't waste any time showing that off now. He was rapidly swimming back and forth. Our pool was huge, so that was sort of impressive.

I tried to focus back on the novel I was holding, but the sounds of my parents and the Evans laughing so loud, the splashing of the water, plus Matt and his semi-naked body in the water was distracting me. Reason number fifty why I didn't want to swim with him.

I kept trying to re-focus on the words on the book, but I kept ending up re-reading a single sentence.

You never really understand a person until you consider things from...

"Psst!"

I groaned really loud. I was starting to move on from that one sentence!

I ignored him, trying hopelessly once more to continue on the page.

"Hey, Avery!"

I bit my lip. ...you consider things from...

"Avery! Hey!"

From...

Suddenly I felt something really cold run down my back and thighs and on my glasses were droplets, smelling of chlorine. I didn't have time to react until a huge smudge on my book appeared really fast.

I stood up from the hammock and screamed, "Matthew!"

Matt's blue eyes widened at my now wet book and well, all of me. He lifted himself off the pool.

"Shit. Sorry, Avery, I didn't mean to..." He approached me and took the book from me, in attempt to do whatever the hell he thought he could do about it.

My face was burning. "Oh my god, your hands are wet, you idiot!" I yelled at him and carefully retrieved my book from him.

I wasn't only mad. I was embarrassed as well. I was wearing a Spongebob shirt, and it was white. I put on a damn hot pink bra earlier this morning.

He glanced at my shirt and looked away, scratching his head. I punched him on his arm, which I doubt hurt him at all. But I was pissed and I wanted him to know.