3: Off the Ground, Out of My Mind

"Holy shit, you've got to be kidding me."

Matt sheepishly grinned. "I think I really lost it."

It took almost everything in me to not scream out loud. He was such an idiot!

"We were just holding it a few minutes ago, Evans!" I shrieked. "How the hell did you lose your plane ticket?"

He threw his hands up, exhaustion evident in his face. "I don't know, okay? I didn't sleep much last night, and I'm tired, and I forget easily when I'm tired, and I don't know!"

I sighed and glared at him. "I can't just leave you here, can I? Natty, Oscar and my parents might kill me."

His shoulders sagged and he started to ask random people if they found a plane ticket to Avila, the small faraway city where Minerva Academy is at.

I almost felt a bit of sympathy for him, since Natty asked him to bring so much things for himself, and his dad even told him to bring some of my things, since I too had so much of them. I'd retrieve them from him, but the bags in my hands are killing me as well. He was dragging the bags around with him, as he asked people about his ticket, receiving incredulous looks from them.

What the hell was he doing last night that made him this forgetful and tired?

I was starting to lose hope really fast. I tried in vain to ask people about the ticket too, until finally I groaned and grabbed Matt's hand, pulling him from the lady he was talking to.

"That's it. I'm calling Natty," I said firmly.

Some of the color in his face left him. "No."

"What do you mean no? I am calling them," I said.

"Come on, Haleson!" he said, exasperated. "I can't have them lose their trust in me. If I can't keep my own ticket safe, how would they trust me to keep you safe?"

I pursed my lips at him. Yesterday, his and my parents gave us a full hour talk on what'll happen in M.A. They also kind of forced Matt to sort of bodyguard me.

"You don't have to do it, you know," I told him. "I can take care of myself. And I thought you didn't even want to go to M.A, much less cared if your parents trusted you."

Matt stared at me. "I actually agreed with them, that M.A. would be good for me," he said. "And I need them to trust me enough to let me go when college comes around."

So Matt was planning to move out probably, when we graduate. I understood him, wanting to keep his parents trusting him, but we were out of options. What were we supposed to do, walk to Avila?

"I'm sorry, Matt." I was sincere. "But we're out of choices."

Matt groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose as I dialled Natty's number in my phone.

I was glaring at him as he was gently tugging on my jean jacket, trying to stop me. I put my phone to my ear.

"You're so stupid, you know," I whispered to him.

He pouted and kept pulling at my jacket.

"Um, hello?"

"Hello, Natty?" I asked, and Matt looked at me in confusion. I then looked at my phone.

Wait... It was still contacting Natty.

I flinched as a pale hand randomly appeared in front of me.

"Hey." I looked up at the girl who spoke. She was a redhead, had quite huge eyes, and looked about Matt's and my age.

"My name's Lynn," she said, holding a hand out to me and shaking the other at Matt.