Chapter 9: The Pep Talk

Previously on One Night:

"Well, now that we know something new about each other, wanna figure out a time to go on a date?" I asked hopefully.

"Sure," she said, "I'm free tomorrow."

My heart sunk a little bit. I wanted to go on a date with her today. But I was still excited about going on a date with her in general.

"Do you have anything planned after 3:00 tomorrow?" I said. I had a plan in mind.

"No, that's fine with me! Um, is there anything specific I should wear? I don't want to be too casual or too formal."

"Wear some just comfy, casual clothes. Oh! And I almost forgot to mention this, but bring a bathing suit, a towel, and an extra pair of clothes."

_________~~~~~~~_______~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~_________________~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tessie's POV

After Riker ended the call, I breathed out a dreamy sigh. I still couldn't believe that a guy like him would like a girl like me (A/N cliche fanfic saying I know). I mean really, if it wasn't for Emily taking me to that concert... wait, Emily! I pulled my phone back out. Ouch, that first text was rough, but at least she's forgiven me. I decided to call her. She picked up on the 4th ring.

"Tess! I'm sooooo sorry about last night. Idontknowwhatcameoverme-"

"Emily! Emily, it's okay. Everything is fine between us. I forgive you."

"Oh phew! Thank you so much! You are such an amazing friend and I don't know what I would do without you! Oh and hey, just how did you get home last night?"

"I called an Uber." I didn't want to mention the whole 'Riker was in the car with me and also how we're kinda sorta going on a date tomorrow' thing, just in case she was still slightly bitter about it.

"Oh my gosh! I'm soo sorry! You know what? In order to make it up to you, I'll help you clean your apartment today."

Since I had known Emily for so long, she knew that I had a weird habit of cleaning at least one thing thoroughly a day. Some days she would come over and we would clean my whole apartment from top to bottom. Because I lived with my mom, I had to clean her side as well. I didn't see her much because she worked 16 hour days. That also meant that she had no time to clean the rest of her stuff. She would leave before I woke up and get back just as I was going to sleep. At night she would poke her head in my room and say a quick goodnight, but that's about the most I'd see her.

"Uh, sure I guess," I said, "the apartment could use a good cleaning."

"Alright," she said, "I'll be over in an hour, be ready! Bye!" Then she hung up the phone.

I sighed and decided to go to the kitchen to get breakfast. I put my poofy mass of tangled curls in a messy bun and walked slowly to the kitchen, rubbing my eyes as I went. I took some cereal out of the pantry and poured some into a bowl along with some milk. I sat on the couch, placed my cereal on my lap, and turned on the TV. After I had finished my breakfast and put my bowl in the sink, I walked to my room to get dressed. I didn't even bother to take a shower because we would be using chemicals and be getting sweaty anyway so there was no point. I was too lazy to put in my contacts so I just kept my glasses on and put on a pair of black athletic shorts with a random t-shirt that had some random company's logo on it.

Just as I pulled the shirt over my head, there was a knock on the front door. I went to it and opened it. On the other side of the door was Emily, dressed in a similar way. I let her in and she immediately hugged me.