You're...not joking...?

Nerdy bookworm and slight loner Sam Winchester had captivated the attention of popular prankster Gabriel Novak. No, not meaning that Gabriel wanted to pull a cruel prank on him, no not that type of attention, Gabriel had a pathetic crush on the tall nerd.

It started in eighth grade, when Gabriel had just simply liked Sam. His family was close with the Winchester family. They didn't live that far away, and they often spent weekends together. But once they hit Highschool, Sam distanced himself from the blond boy, spending more and more time with a girl named Charlie. Gabriel, needless to say, was jealous. He didn't know Charlie that well, and wouldn't know that Charlie was a lesbian, who just liked to nerd out with Sam. He thought they were dating.  Skip forward a few years to junior year of high school.  Gabriel was now head over heels in love with Sam Winchester.

And Sam barely even talked to him.  Not that that would last for long.  Gabriel was getting tired of the hurt that always haunted him when he saw Sam with Charlie.  He was tired of glancing longingly at the Winchester house hold, remembering the days he spent there.  He was tired of watching Dean and his brother Cas walk in front of him and Sam on their way home, leaving them to walk in silence. 

So when Gabriel first got his license and ability to drive more than one person around, he figured Sam would love a ride to school. 

"Hey, Sambo!" He called cheerfully at the tall boy, "where's Dean?" Sam let out a laugh.

"He's driving his car to school. He took Cas with him.  I couldn't stand the sexual tension in that car so I decided to walk," he smiled as Gabriel pulled over. 

"Those two need to get with it.  Anyway, want a ride?" Sam nodded and climbed into the car.  Gabriel was trying to calm his breathing down as Sam's hand brushed against his hand.  

"Thanks.  Nice car," he commented.  Gabriel and Sam talked about various things as they drove along. 

"So, you should come over some time again.  I haven't seen Mike or Luke in forever!" Gabriel gulped as Sam said this. 

"They...you won't be seeing them in a long time," Gabriel admitted as he pulled into the parking lot. 

"Why not?" Sam furrowed his brow and damn it looked good Gabriel thought. 

"They...they're in jail," Gabe signed.  Now Sam's eyebrows shot up.

"Oh," was all he said.

Two days later and Gabriel and Sam were still riding to school and back together.

Two weeks later and it wasn't an unusual thing to see Sam and Gabriel in the library together. 

They talked a lot, although there were days when Sam was exceptionally quiet.  On those days Charlie would often accompany him to the library and take the seat near Sam before Gabriel could.  This frustrated Gabriel beyond belief.  He took it to himself to find out of the two were dating. 

"Charlie," Gabriel landed a hand on her shoulder as she was walking out of the school on a Monday afternoon.  It wasn't a normal Monday, really.  It was the Monday before the dance on Friday.  The Valentine's Day dance. 

"Hi, Gabriel!" She cheered, turning around. He felt slightly nervous asking now.  What if they were dating? 

"Are you and Sam...a thing?" He asked, not meeting her eyes.  She had a blank face for a moment before laughing her head off, which took Gabriel by surprise.

"I'm about as straight as a rainbow.  We're just friends," she looked at his clenched hand, which held two tickets to the dance, "he's all yours!" She clapped his back and walked out the door, leaving Gabriel with his mouth wide open.