The Drunken Truth

The door bell rang. Misty looked at the clock- it was really late. She'd been worried he wouldn't come back.

You tell someone you'll watch their Pokemon for the day and they end up dumping them on you. She grimaced, going to open the front door.

"Hey." Ash giggled on the doorstep.

Misty paused. Ash never giggled. She raised an eyebrow at him, taking in his dopey smile and awkward balance, "You're drunk."

"Nah, I only had some iced tea."

"What KIND of iced tea, Ash?" Misty sighed impatiently.

"Long Island. It tasted great!" He fist pumped, then stumbled forward, using a chair by the front door for support as he walked, or attempted to walk, inside.

"Ash, you idiot, Long Island Iced Tea is an alcoholic drink." Misty put a hand to her head, feeling like she was channeling Psyduck, "How much did you have?"

"Um...." He started counting his fingers, "I don't know... Cilan was there giving them to me. He said they were as divine as the warm sand on the beach in Undella Town."

"And you listened to him?!" Misty yelled, "I told you not to hang out with him anymore!"

"I didn't know it was alcohol." Ash slurred, groaning as he tried to stand up straight, "It tasted good. And Cilan paid."

"Ash, you know he's gay, right? And that he has a crush on you?" Misty's eyebrows rose up.

"Nah, he just wanted to be nice." He waved a hand airily, almost falling over again, "He said after that we'd go back to his place and party. See? He's nice."

Misty face palmed herself, "Ash, I honestly don't know how you survived one day without me."

"Me either. I mean, it was so sad..... so so sad when you left. Why'd you leave me, Misty?" Ash frowned, attempting to focus on her face.

She blinked, surprised. He'd never really said he'd been sad about her leaving before, "I had to take over the Gym, Ash. You know that."

"But I missed you." He said sincerely, "It wasn't the same once you left."

She bit her lip, her eyes tearing up against her will from the sudden display of drunk emotion pouring out of Ash. She turned away to try and compose herself. Of course she hadn't wanted to leave Ash, but... but she'd had to... it was her responsibility to be the Gym Leader.

And yet there wasn't a day that passed that didn't go by without her wishing she'd chosen differently.

Ash asked, "Are you crying?"

"N-no." Misty stammered.

"Don't cry, Misty. I hate seeing you sad." Ash paused, "I hate seeing you mad too..... that sucked. You always hit me. No one else really hit me. Ever."

"Sorry, Ash." She sniffed.

He changed subjects abruptly, "Remember that one time that you fished me out of the ocean and I was unconscious? You know, with Lugia and all those giant bird Pokemon attacking me and that talking pink Pokemon?"

"...Yeah." Misty said slowly.

"How come you didn't use CPR? Huh?" Ash looked around the room, seeming lost even though Misty was right in front of him.

"You woke up before I needed to." Misty blushed.

"I wish you would have had to. I really do, Miss Misty. Heh. Miss Misty... that's awesome. Your name has the word 'miss' in it. And 'tea'.... Hey... I just had tea." He started laughing so hard he was crying, "And you know what?"