Chapter Four

I stood tall and faced the now silent room.
  "If I even dare to begin to cooperate, you all must tell me what I am doing here and exactly where I am and when I can leave."
  I stood, my head held high. I was done being weak. I couldn't afford to be. I had to be strong and control my emotions.
  All the people in the room were looking at me. I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks as I took shallow breath after shallow breath.
  Finally, the man who had spoken before stood to face me. He looked down, putting his toes an inch from my own. He looked up, scanning my face, searching up and down. I stood my ground, my hands clasped behind my back shaking slightly.
  "Well then." The man turned back to the crowd of people dressed in white. "She seems to have found her voice once again. But I have a question for the girl with all the requests before we answer hers."
  He turned back to me, again standing too close and speaking too loud next to my ears.
  "What do you know? How did you just spontaneously loose all your memories, hmm? Why should we bow to your requests? We voted just shy of injecting you with death, like Dean did." That must be Pelican.
I considered my answer. I didn't want to say that I knew nothing. But that's all I knew.
  "I remember nothing." I say, trying not to think about what I was saying.
  "I have a right to know where I am, and why you were going to kill me. What did I do to deserve that?"
  The man in my face moved away from me, again facing the room.
  And he began laughing.
  Confused, I looked around the room. Some people were looking at their shoes, their eyes glistening. Some people were staring at me, murder in their eyes.
  The man turned back to me, the laugh gone from his face.
  "You killed one of our own."