Chapter Three

"What!" I asked in surprise. "What do you mean?"

Gold just shakes his head.

He opens the door to yelling. Not really yelling, just raised voices all combined into one uproar. It surprises me though. I guess I am used to quiet.

Now that I think about it, there isn't much noise here. But, the fact that I couldn't hear this deafening sound from outside leads me to believe that the doors and walls are soundproof.

People start to take notice of presence. Gold walks in front of me farther into the room.

He turns and smiles at me, although the smile is obviously forced. "And this is the Committee of Foreigners." he says, as if he had been giving me a tour.

I stare blankly at him, and then look at the Committee.

They stare back expectantly. I am not sure what to say.

One man stands. "Were you there when James Buford Hansen committed suicide, just last night?" I look at him blankly, not understanding.

He looks over my head at Gold, his blue eyes shifting. "As I thought." he says, and sighs. He looks down at a paper clutched in his grasp. "The Outers are always this way. Stupid and mute."

I stare incredulously into his averted eyes. How dare he! He talks as if I wasn't standing right before him. I decide to prove him wrong.

"I am not mute, nor am I stupid." I say, still staring.

After a long minute, he looks up. "It speaks." is all he says before sitting down and returning to studying his stack of papers.

~Authors Note~

I'm sorry, undoubtedly, for the length and the wait. I have been busy with tests and school. Hopefully I will be able to update soon.