-Day 6-

The next morning, Eren and I venture out into the garden, per his request. Because we're together and his nurse deemed me capable of keeping an eye out for him, we aren't shadowed by her. The only other people around are a few gardeners, and they keep to themselves. Though, we were warned they'd have a few eyes on us via the security cameras and a few people close by as a precaution. I find it annoying, but because of Eren's (already worsening) condition, I can't blame them.

I, myself, haven't gotten any better upon my, or even Eren's arrival, of course, and today I'm a lot more tired than I've been in the past week since meeting him. I only managed to capture about three hours of sleep the previous night, but that isn't uncommon with my disease. I keep quiet about it, though, for Eren's sake more than anyone else's; he doesn't need to be worrying about anything more.

As we step out into the fresh spring air, he's required to wear a beanie to protect his scalp and long sleeves to conceal his arms so his sensitive skin doesn't burn. When he tells me the hat was knitted especially for him by his grandmother, I force myself to bite back sarcastic comments.

"Wow," he breathes as the door slides quietly shut in our wake. "It feels like it's been forever since I've been outside."

"Me too," I murmur.

"But you're not really an outdoors type of person, are you?" Again with the grin. I shrug. "Let's walk," he says, starting forward.

I remain on his left, his cane is gripped in his right hand clicking faintly against the sidewalk as we saunter slowly down the path. There is an abundance of plants and flowers - from bright, colorful roses to carnations and lilies, sunflowers, lilac, lavender, tulips, hydrangea, and columbine. Many others I can't even name, but it's colorful. Fragrant. Peaceful. The plants stretch almost all the way around the building, up many of the walls and climbing the fences bordering the property line. The ground is littered with bushes and a few trees, some still budding and others already filled with leaves, saplings in between here and there. The sun shines down and the breeze brushes through, causing the shadows of the plants and trees to dance across the ground, on each other, on us. Save for leaves playing against each other and our footsteps, there isn't much sound to speak of.

The little stone path we follow weaves through the garden, allowing for a good look at all the different kinds of life being nurtured. Bees hover around flowers to collect their pollen alongside a few butterflies here and there. Some birds have perched themselves among the trees, but are silent themselves as if enjoying the peace and quiet as we are.

Eventually, we round a corner and pick up the bubbling of a fountain. It's nestled among the shrubbery, fairly tall portraying a sculpted dolphin mid-jump, the water being produced from its mouth.

Much like myself, Eren seems totally enraptured by our surroundings. His eyes, nearly blending in with the greenery around us, are wide and wonder-filled. He smiles, of course, as he takes it all in, sweeping his gaze back and forth like he's trying to capture every detail, remember everything he sees. He hasn't stumbled or claimed dizziness as of yet, nor has he complained about being tired on our little journey, and whether or not he truly is, for once, is difficult to decipher. Still, I'm aware of the cameras attached to the building, aware of eyes on us, and more than prepared to help if he needs it.

"I can't believe nobody really comes out here," he says, voice mirroring his awe.

"They do," I correct, "when they can."

Eren nods slowly. "I guess that makes sense."

We walk a little farther until we've come to, essentially, the end of the garden, wherein a white gazebo lies. I follow Eren to it, where he steps up and gazes around a minute before waving me along and sinking onto the bench bordering the inside. He props his cane up beside him and flexes his fingers, massages his palm with the opposite thumb. I perch myself next to him, simply watching.