Dancing

The door squeaks as my mother enters the threshold of the apartment my family calls home. Her hair that was in a bun this morning, is flowing down her shoulders in strains of white blonde and gray. Her nurse scrubs are wrinkled from her job at the local clinic. Tired crystal blue eyes light up as she sees my little sister run to her with me right behind her.

Setting down her bags, she opens her arms for us. Wrapping our arms around each other, we kiss cheeks.

Mom picks up my 5 year old sister that is an exact carbon copy of my mother. I grab her bags, and set them on the counter in the kitchen.

Mom as she does every night, turns on the old antique radio that my father saved up for. Music burst out of the speakers.

Finding the beat, mom twirls elegantly around the open apartment. Giggles erupt from Ellie as she watch mom dance.

The door opens, heavy footsteps stops as the man, even though he sees his wife dance every night, stands mesmerized.

My father's face is blacken with dirt, hiding his fair skin, his black medium stubble is just the way mom likes it. His black hair a little too long for his liking is dirty along with his clothes, boots, and exposed skin from working in the subways, but his bright green eyes shine bright.

Mom giggles as she skips to him, his arms already opened for her. They lock lips to share a passionate kiss, but stop as they hear vomit noises from their two children.

Mom glares as dad chuckles deeply. "Just wait until you two find someone you love more than your very being, you wouldn't be vomiting then."

Ellie ews. "Boys have cooties!"

"Hopefully that isn't until I'm older, I want to have fun." I smirk as I wiggle my eyebrows.

"I was just like you, my boy, but that changed when I met the most beautiful woman in the world. So I made her mine and had two little monsters." Dad kisses mom temple.

"Honey, we have to get ready if we want to be back before 10 o'clock. It's almost 8 now." Mom pulls dad to their bedroom.

Knowing they are getting ready for their date night they have once a month. I distract Ellie.

Taking out paper and the crayons, I sit at the table with Ellie and have a drawing contest.

Elie giggles as she scribbles whatever she's drawing. Taking a gray crayon, I draw a realistic shark.

Halfway through, mom and dad walks into the kitchen. Mom's hair is curly, the only makeup she's wearing is black eyeliner and mascara to make her crystal blue eyes pop. She's wearing black tights and a dark blue tank top with a cardigan and black flats.

Dad is wearing his good jeans with his other boots and a gray T-shirt. His black hair sits curly. His stubble is still on. Mom would have a fit if he shaved it.

Mom and dad kiss our cheeks and hugs us. " Don't stay up late. Theo make sure Ellie takes a bath and put her to bed. We'll be back around 10."

I push them out the door, knowing they've been wanting this night all week. "Don't worry. Have fun. Love you!"

"We love you!" Mom and dad grins as they take the stairs.

Closing the door, I roar as I run after Ellie. "The Bath Monster is here!"

Before she can run away, I grab her and throw her over my shoulder. She giggles as I turn on the water, putting the plug in, I pure in bubbles in.

With her still on my shoulder, I get her Spongebob PJs and underwear from our shared room.

Going back into the bathroom. I turn off the water and strip her clothes. She climbs in and plays with the bubbles as I wash her hair and behind her ears.

When she's squeaky clean. I get a towel and drain the water, as she stands. Wrapping the towel around her, I dry her off, and get her dressed in her PJs.

Towel drying her hair, I then brush it. Picking Ellie up as she yawns. I carry her into our room and put her into her bed.

Knowing she likes it when I wear matching PJs with her. I grab my Spongebob PJs and boxers, and walk to the bathroom to change.

Dressed in my PJs, I go back to our room. Ellie sees my PJs and giggles. Kissing her forehead goodnight after I tuck her in, I go to my bed after I turn the lights off.

Grabbing the 2nd book in the Unwind series and my book light, I climb into bed and pull the covers over my head to not bother Ellie.

About an hour later, my phone rings. Turning off the light and uncovering, I grab my phone, swiping the green button. I whisper a hello.

"Is this Theo Auburns?" A female voice ask on the other end.

"Yes."

"Mr. Auburns, there's been a collision. We need you to come to Kindred Hospital." The lady orders.

Not wanting to argue or waste time. I hang up, as I wake Ellie up. No time with changing, I grab our shoes and light jackets for the rain.

A sleepy Ellie barely comprehends what's happening. Slipping on her shoes and jacket, after I put mine on. I pick her up, grab my phone, wallet, and house keys, and run out the apartment.

I run a few blocks before I see a cab and flag him down. Climbing in, I breathe out the hospital's name.

It takes 10 minutes to reach the hospital. The whole time crippling thoughts swarm my head about my parents. Giving the driver the amount due. I pull a now alert Ellie out of the cab.

Running with her to the desk, I give my parents' names and my relation to them. Giving me the floor number, I run to the elevator, pressing the right button.

It feels like the elevator hardly moves up, when what feels like forever before the doors open.

Rushing to the desk, the lady tells me that the doctors will be out whenever they can, that we should wait in the waiting area.

Shaking, I grab Ellie's hand, and pull her to the chairs. Sitting heavily into a chair, I being my baby sister to my lap.

"Teddy, why we here? Mommy and daddy will be home soon." Ellie whispers.

"Baby, mommy and daddy are hurt, so we have to be here so we know if they are okay or not." My voice shakes with fear.

She doesn't ask any more questions. We wait until for I don't know how long before a doctor comes out of the double doors.

"Anson and Kenna Auburns!" He calls. When we sees an 18 and 5 year old, his face turns grave.

I suddenly don't want to know what he has to say. Standing on shaking legs, I approach him with Ellie by my side.

"Theo and Ellie Auburns." I whisper.

"I'm very sorry to inform you, but neither of your parents made it. Their injuries were just to much." Before he even finishes, I fall to my knees, hugging my baby sister to me.

With those words, our world changed.