Chapter 11

Two weeks later

Sam POV

I fucking hated my parents. Not like the Oh, they're so annoying and they don't let me do anything. No, I literally hated them. I wanted nothing more than to be away from them

All they did was fight. Every day when I came home, they were yelling about god knows what. They didn't even notice me when I was there. They were too busy wanting to rip each other's throats out.

They were fighting again now. It'd been going on for two hours. I sat on my bed with my music blaring. I started getting scared when I could hear them over the music. It had turned into a screaming match. My hands began to shake slightly and my heart was pounding. Tears welled up in my eyes.

I heard glass shatter and that was the last straw. I grabbed my phone, put on my shoes, and slipped out my window. I broke out into a run as soon as my feet hit the ground.

My breath became ragged and uneven as I ran to Michael's house. He took one look at me and pulled me into his warm chest.

"Fighting again?" He asked, referring to my parents.

I nodded, and he cradled me in his arms on the couch. Large sobs racked my body as I cried. He whispered in my ear trying to calm me down.

"Hey, it's okay. Relax. You're safe. You're with me. It's alright," he said.

"Hey, remember the time we went to the jail for a field trip? When you got your head stuck in the bars of an empty cell. They had to call down the fire department and your parents to calm you down," he said, distracting me from the thoughts in my head.

"I remember," I said and hiccupped.

"And the time when we drew all over Zoe with permanent marker? Her face was red for a week." He laughed.

"That was awesome. Her face was priceless," I said.

We went on like this for about an hour, telling funny stories from when we were younger. He held me as my heart rate returned to normal, my eyes dry.

"Want to go take a shower?" He asked.

"Yeah," I said and headed up to his bathroom.

I quickly took off my clothes and turned on the water. My muscles relaxed under the hot water. I stood under the water for a few minutes. The door opened, and I froze.

"Sam, can I come in with you?" Michael asked.

"Um..."

"You can say no," he said at my hesitation.

"It's fine," I said.

He got into the shower and focused on my face. I covered my body with my hands, feeling insecure. I noticed he still had his boxers.

"Why are you still wearing your boxers?" I asked.

"I didn't want you to feel uncomfortable. Let me wash your hair," he said.

I turned around so he could rub in the shampoo and conditioner. He massaged my scalp as he went along. I leaned slightly against his chest. He washed out the conditioner and kissed my shoulder.

"Finish up and we can have some cuddle time," he said and got out.

I washed my body and got out of the shower. I dried off before slipping on my clothes.

Michael was on his bed when I got out of the bathroom. I lied down next to him. He played with the ends of my wet hair and tickled my face with it. I tousled his hair so it spiked up. He fixed it and put his arm around me. He rubbed my back and drew circles with his fingertips until I fell asleep.

-

Around midnight, Michael shook me awake. We were practically nose to nose.

"Sammy, are you sure you don't need to go home?" He asked.

In that split second, whether it was in the moment that I needed him most or because I loved him, I leaned in and pressed my mouth softly to his.

"I'm already home."

Michael smiled and pulled me closer. I rested my head on his chest and his head lied on top of the pillow above mine.

I didn't know what I'd do without Michael. He always found a way to make me happy even when it seemed like the world was falling.

Even though things were bad at home, Michael found a way to make everything okay. When I was with him, the world disappeared. He found his happy place in music, and I found mine with him.