Chapter 24

Time Skip- about 6 months

Sam POV

It was around midnight and I hadn't gotten any sleep. The baby kept kicking me all night. I was going to wake up Michael, but decided not to. He was busy at the studio yesterday and was exhausted when he came home.

I slowly got out of bed and padded over to the bathroom. I went in and did what I had to do. As I started pulling my leggings back up, water trickled down my leg and there was a sharp pain in my stomach. I froze, realizing what was happening.

"Michael!" I screamed.

"What?" He asked, suddenly at the door.

"The baby. It's coming," I said and cried out in pain again.

"Shit, okay. Um, what do you need me to do?"

"Help me to the car please," I said and winced at another contraction.

He grabbed my hand, and I squeezed it so hard he yelped in pain. 

"Sorry, sorry."

It took ten minutes for us to get down the stairs and to the car. I clenched my fists and tried to control my breathing while Michael went to grab the hospital bag. He gave me a kiss on the cheek. 

"We're gonna have a baby, Sam," he said. 

I loved Michael so much and had been waiting for this day for nine months, but right now, all I could think was getting to the hospital and having an epidural. All the cramps in the world couldn't have prepared me for this. 

"Michael," I said through gritted teeth. "I love you, but drive!"

He did exactly that, getting to the hospital in record time. We slowly made our way to the entrance. I had to stop again and wait out another contraction. 

"Help! My girlfriend's in labor!" Michael yelled when we walked in the door.

They sat me down on a wheelchair and brought me to the delivery room. I got onto the bed and squeezed Michael's hand again, holding back a scream. 

"It hurts, Mikey," I said.

"I know, but it'll all be worth it when we're holding our baby boy in our arms."

Michael POV

It killed me to see her in that much pain. I watched as a doctor gave her the epidural. Needles made me squeamish, but I couldn't imagine the pain she was in. We had to wait a few hours before it was time for her to push.

I could hear her cries permanently etching themselves in my brain. My knuckles were turning white from my hand being squeezed to death. Zoe sat on the other side of the hospital bed along with my mum, who was talking to Sam in a quiet voice to help calm her down. 

A million thoughts started running through my head, none of them good. Why was it taking so long? What if something was wrong? Would I be a good father to this baby? What about my career?

There was only one person who could slap some sense into me. Literally. 

"Zoe, can I talk to you outside?" I asked.

She nodded and followed me into the hallway. I paced back and forth, breathing heavily and running my hands through my hair.

"Zoe, I don't think I can do this," I admitted.

"Do what?" She asked.

"This. Be a father. I can't take care of a child. We're so young, and I have the band-"

She slapped me hard across the face. I was right. 

"Wake up, Michael. Your girlfriend is in the other room about to give birth to your son. You hear me? Your son! The son you helped create. You are not going to leave her when she needs you the most. I won't let you. This is the exact same thing I told Sam. Do you really want your baby to grow up without a father?" She said.

"I'm just scared I'm going to mess up," I said.

"Michael, you don't need to be scared. It's going to be okay. You're going to be a great father," she said, placing comforting hands on my shoulder. 

"You think so?"

"I know so. Now, get back in there and be with Sam," she said, and I obliged.

"She's ready to push," the doctor said.

"Alright. Let's have a baby."

Sam POV

I'd been in labor for the past three hours and let me say, it had been the worst three hours of my life. I had Michael on one side of me and Zoe on the other.

"Come on. Almost there. Keep pushing," the doctor said.

"It hurts," I whimpered.

"Just one more time. For the baby," Michael whispered and kissed my forehead.

I pushed again and fell back from exhaustion. A baby's cry filled the room. I watched the doctors as they cleaned him off and gave him to me. His cries soon stopped.

"Oh my god. He's beautiful," Zoe said.

I smiled down at the baby boy in my arms. I had never been more happy than I was in that moment.

"Hey, little guy. We've been waiting a long time for you. You look just like your daddy. He's going to spoil you. So are your uncles. They can't wait to meet you," I said.

He let out a small yawn, and I smiled again. I played with his tiny fingers.

"Sammy, can I hold him?" Zoe asked, and I gave him to her.

"Hey, you. I'm your Aunt Zoe. You have two wonderful parents who are going to take such good care of you. Just don't go too hard on them," she said.

There were so many reasons why I loved this baby, and one was that he brought me and Zoe closer together. If I hadn't become pregnant, Zoe and I would still hate each other. I finally had my sister back.

"Would you like to hold your son?" The nurse asked Michael.

"Yes," Michael said but looked scared when he started crying again

He sat down in a chair and held our son. I smiled at the two of them. The two boys who meant the most to me. I was so grateful to have them both.

"Hi. It's me, your daddy. I can't wait for the guys to see you. I'm going to teach you how to be punk rock. We're going to dye your hair and give you an eyebrow piercing. Mummy will yell at us, but she loves me anyway," he said.

I let out a small laugh, and Michael smiled up at me.

"We're going to be great parents," he said.

"Yeah. We are."