d

The fourth time I saw Alexa San Roman probably started everything truly between us. You could argue that, yeah, tell me that I'm the reason she's alive. Yet, any person in their right mind would call to keep someone alive, but I've found that even family members, who you would assume to be caring enough to visit their loved ones, don't. As I sat in the waiting room of the ICU all I could think of at fifteen was why at sixteen the only people there were Dane and Sean, stepbrothers she's been friends with pre-utero, and me. As I waited and slowly the brothers began taking shifts with staying and going, I never did question why I cared so much. I just did.

I wasn't allowed in to see her. I didn't expect that I would be either. They wouldn't tell me when she'd be released. They wouldn't tell me anything.

After three days, they made me leave. So, I went home and showered, picked up McDonald's, and brought two more changes of clothes. I came back in a couple hours later and found myself residing in the exact same chair from before.

The nurse gave me a look that most people would give me if they heard I'd found my neighbour dead and had sat at the hospital for three days. She was stable in there. She was stable but she couldn't see me, I couldn't see her.

Six hours later, she asked for me.

xxx

"So, are you her roommate or something?" asked the nurse, who walked me to Alexa's room. "It said on her card she didn't live with her parents."

"No, I'm not, actually. If she were my roommate, this wouldn't have been a possibility. I wouldn't have let her do this to herself. I know what she's capable of."

"Chill out," the nurse sighed. "If you aren't her roommate then who are you?"

"I barely know the girl. She moved in across the street a month or so ago."

"Do you have any clue why she would try to do this?"

"Not a clue," I said as she scanned her entry card. She hands me one.

"You give this to anyone, and you will face jail time, do you understand me?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Go."