Vowles and Consonants

Each block (Syllable) HAS to have at least one consonant and one vowel. The letter "ㅇ" serves as a placeholder, meaning that it can stand as both.
Ex: "응" The "ㅡ" is the vowel, and the "ㅇ"'s are the consonants.

이- This block makes an "ee" sound. Like the "ee" in the word "bee" Since the placeholder is silent, (well at least in this case) only the vowel, which is "ee" will make a sound.

비- This block makes a "Bee" sound, as if you were saying the letter B. This symbol "ㅂ" makes the B sound, and the "ㅣ" makes the "ee" sound.

디- This block makes a "Dee" sound, as if you were saying the letter "D" . "ㄷ" makes the "D" sound and the "ㅣ" makes the "ee" sound. Together, the symbols create the sound "Dee"

기 - This block makes a "gi" sound. The "g" is the sound the letter makes itself, not the name of the letter. For example,    the "ㄱ" symbol doesn't make a "juh" sound, it makes a "guh" sound. So "ㄱ" makes a "guh" sound and the "ㅣ" makes the "ee" sound, thus creating "gi".

리 - This block can make two sounds. It can make a "Ree" sound, or a "lee" sound. The "ㄹ" makes the R/L sound and the "ㅣ" makes the "ee" sound. You roll this, because the sound isn't a definite "R" or "L". Looking up words with the sound within them would be your best choice.

미- This block is literally pronounced "me" . The "ㅁ" makes a "M" sound and the "ㅣ" makes the "ee" sound.

니- This block makes a "Knee" sound. (since when do knees make sounds XD)
The "ㄴ" makes an "N" sound and the "ㅣ" makes an "ee" sound.

피- This block makes a "pee" sound. (Hehe XD Pee XD). The "ㅍ" makes a "p" sound and the "ee" makes an "ee" sound.

(We're almost there XD)

시- Last but not least, this block makes a "she" sound. The "ㅅ" makes an "sh" sound and the "ㅣ" makes an "ee" sound. (The placement of the character tells us what sound it would make.)

Practice these! (Remember "ㅡ" make and "eu" sound.

1. 으
2. 브
3. 드
4. 기
5. 리
6. 므
7. 니
8. 피
9. 시

Depending on what you want to spell, you may need another consonant at the end of the block. For example, 비 added with a "N" sound makes this "빈" which is pronounced "Bean". Also, "브" added with a "K" sound becomes this "븤".

Answer key:

1. 으 Eu
2. 브 Beu
3. 드 Deu
4. 기 Gi
5. 리 Ri/li (Roll it)
6. 므 Meu
7. 니 Ni
8. 피 Pi
9. 시 Shi