Always There

Thoughts around time of publishing - Scheme. Specific. Essay.

------------------

I had fully made up my mind to 'define' Evelyn, claiming her as my property with old magic that would ensure others would leave her alone. It wasn't a particularly hard process, all I needed to do was give her some of my blood, but it was the connotations of the ritual that were more serious. Once done it could not be undone, and everyone would recognize her as a familiar of sorts.

She was unconscious for nearly two days, which was a day or so shorter than usual, and once the doctors finished their final checks and left, I was finally allowed in to see her.

When I entered the room she was sitting on the bed looking out the window. Her back was to me and her shoulders and neck were uncovered. It was the perfect time to do it, almost as if she had positioned herself that way intentionally, like she was aware of my plan.

I walked forward, slowly and quietly, not wanting to alarm her and trigger the natural fight or flight instinct, the monster inside thrilled at the prospect of hunt and blood. I was a few meters from the bed, about to let that darker part of me take over, when she turned around, almost as if she had sensed me approaching.

She saw me and gave me a bright smile, her blue eyes sparkling though there seemed to be something sad hidden away in them.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, I had to do this. I had to keep her safe.

I breathed out, opening my eyes again and looking at Evelyn.

She got to her feet, a little unsteady, and seemed to dance over to my side. She stopped and looked up at me, clearly worried about the way I was acting and the lack of treating. She tilted her head, her dark hair falling away from the side of her neck, as she quietly asked me if I was ok. This was it, I thought, looking down at her neck I could see a pail vein just below the surface.

But I couldn't do it.

My resolve crumbled. I couldn't force her into an agreement that would last a life time. Even if I asked her and if she was willing to go ahead with it... even then I don't think I could have done it, we're too young, who knows if she might change her mind? I wouldn't want to take away a future that she might one day want to have. Even if  that future wasn't with me.

I ran my hand through my hair and smiled down at her, rewarded with an answering smile that was even brighter than before.

She gave me a fleeting hug that was far too short and grabbed my hand, tugging me out of the room and through the corridors. She stopped when we were outside, and paused for a moment, lifting her face to revel in the warmth of the midday sun.

We walked aimlessly around the gardens for a bit, looking at the plants and the various carved sculptures of different creatures that were littered amongst the grounds. They were all carved from stone, some a dull grey stone, others polished granite that sparkled in the sun, and some made from brilliant white marble. They were often decorated with metal embellishments and some even had other precious stones embedded in them.

We came to the most beautiful one by far, its cool grey stone plain in comparison to some of the others, but its humbleness only added to its beauty.

A centaur, a creature that had long since disappeared from our world, was standing with his long, tumbling hair, lifting in his arms a woman. His embrace was returned, though it was with wings that she encircled his broad shoulders and held him close.

They had eyes for nothing in the mortal world, only caring for the gaze of their stone partner, their eyes unwavering since the moment they were first carved.