The Unforgiving : 4

Chapter Four

Having been through prep with Thalia, Volumnia, and Auricula numerous times from past Games, Victory Tours, and public events... it should just be an old routine to survive.

But I haven't anticipated the emotional ordeal that awaits me.

At some point during the prep, each of them bursts into tears at least twice, and Auricula pretty much keeps up a running whimper throughout the morning. It turns out they really have become attached to me, and the idea of me returning to the arena has undone them.

Combine that with the fact that by losing me they'll be losing their ticket to all kinds of big social events, and the whole thing becomes unbearable. The idea of being strong for someone else having never entered their heads, I find myself in the position of having to console them.

Since I'm the person going in to be slaughtered, this is somewhat annoying.

It's interesting, though, when I think of what Gerard said about the attendant on the train being unhappy about the victors having to fight again. About people in the Capitol not liking it. I still think all of that will be forgotten once the siren sounds, but it's something of a revelation that those in the Capitol feel anything at all about us. They certainly don't have a problem watching children murdered every year. But maybe they know too much about the victors, especially the ones who've been celebrities for ages, the ones who are named everyone's daughter, to forget we're human beings. It's more like watching your own friends die. More like the Games are for those of us in the districts.

By the time Danno and Portia show up, I am irritable and exhausted from comforting the prep team, especially because their constant tears are reminding me of the ones undoubtedly being shed at home.

Standing there in my thin robe with my stinging skin and heart, I know I can't bear even one more look of regret. So the moment Danno walks in the door I snap, "I swear if you cry, I'll kill you here and now."

Danno just smiles. "Had a damp morning?"

"You could wring me out," I reply.

Danno puts his arm around my shoulder and leads me into lunch. "Don't worry. I always channel my emotions into my work. That way I don't hurt anyone but myself."

Danno always assists my stylist, Portia, with her selections. I've never worn anything too flashy, nor anything too boring. I've always appreciated him for that.

"I can't go through that again," I warn him.

"I know. I'll talk to them," says Danno.

Lunch makes me feel a bit better. Pheasant with a selection of jewel-colored jellies, and tiny versions of real vegetables swimming in butter, and potatoes mashed with parsley. For dessert we dip chunks of fruit in a pot of melted chocolate, and Danno has to order a second pot because I start just eating the stuff with a spoon.

"So, what are we wearing for the opening ceremonies?" I finally ask as I scrape the second pot clean. "Power lines or water?" I joke. I know the chariot ride will require Gerard and me to be dressed in something power-creating related.

"Something along that line," he says.

When it's time to get in costume for the opening ceremonies, my prep team shows up but Danno sends them away, saying they've done such a spectacular job in the morning, there's nothing left to do. They go off to recover, thankfully leaving me in Danno's and Portia's hands.

After putting my hair into a wild, beautiful set of pigtail, french-braids, he placed two clips with a yellow lightning bolt onto the sides of my hair. The clip was large enough to be seen from a distance, but small enough not to be obnoxious. It was quite beautiful, honestly.