1

Rey

"Who are you?" he asks, studying me curiously with the same look I give myself every morning. I look back down to my hands, still holding the customer's goods. I slam them down on the table, sighing heavily. "I am no one," I answer, briskly. "No one that I know. Now, if you would excuse me, I have customers waiting."

"No, really. Who are you. I'm sure I recognize you from somewhere. Just where is the question."

"Ha! I assure you, sir. You do not know me. I have lived on Jakku for as long as I can remember and I have never been anybody. Now, sir, please go. I will not ask again."
He smiles, grabbing his credits and slowly leaving. Twrillp! goes BB-8 from his place behind me. "No, BB-8. It's alright. I'm fine. How about we go out for a walk when I'm done here, alright? Just give me a few minutes and I'll be done here." I hurry to finish business with a couple more local junk dealers and close down shop for the day. I go back up to my little home on top of the shop and find BB-8 waiting impatiently, zipping around my room. "Alright, BB, I'm here now. Let's go."
Like one might walk their pet nexu or a tusk cat, I lead BB-8 though the desert planet of Jakku, going through the scattered markets, looking at this and that. After a while of staring at things me and BB-8 have both seen hundreds of times before, we decide to go venture out into the abandoned caves. We head back home quickly for some gear and hike out through the sand and wind to our favorite spot, past the longest sandy plain out west. Every time we go, we always seem to find something new. Old relics, treasures young and old, tools used by age-old pirates. There's always something new to find. And, for a simple junk dealer like me, it's always a thrill.
While BB-8 smoothly rolls down the walls of the cave, I let down a rope and secure it to a hook-like structure buried in the sand outside the cave. "Hang on, BB-8!" I laugh, hurrying to join him. "I'm coming!" I tighten my wraps around my face pull my goggles down to my eyes. I quickly slide down the rope, the wind cooling me down through my layers. Be-doop! "What? You already found something?! Now, just hang on, buddy. Alright, now what is it?" My feet touch the ground and I untie the rope from my waist to meet my droid friend where he waits amidst a pile of rubble from a wreck. He's quite a ways back into the cave, though. I don't think we've ever gone so far. I take out my staff from where it's slung to my back and use it as a walking stick as I march over to BB-8. It takes me a while and he anxiously trills and beeps until I approach closely enough for his taste. "Alright, this better be worth it, my friend. You had me go on quite the hike."
Whoo! He rolls over a specific area with his spherical body and I crouch down and gently sweep him aside to take a look at what has him so riled up. It's a skinny, long cylinder device made from durasteel with a small, black button on one side. Curiosity getting the better of me, I lightly depress it and I jump, dropping it to the ground when a bright, blue blade shoots out of the top. "Kriff!" I stumble back, falling into the debris, shocked and surprised by this mysterious tool as BB comes racing to my side. "What is it, BB-8? Do you recognize it?" My droid chortles and toodles in response, but seems just as enthralled by the curious item. "Hutt slime! What even is it?" Slowly, cautiously, like a poisonous kuhoun, I crawl back to the scavenged item and carefully pick it up by its hilt. I watch thee blade for a few seconds, watch it stay humming with life, its light flicking on an off like the lights on the sign of Gungorra the hutt's cantina in Jakku's main city. I hold it horizontally in front of me, turn it diagonally, and bring I around my body, slicing through the thin air. "Hm. Well, this is certainly interesting. What do you think, BB-8? Shall we bring it back home, maybe ask the other dealers around town what they think? I bet they'll be impressed. Come on, buddy. Let's go back home and show it off." I stow the relic inside a pouch and start climbing back out of the cave.