7

In the dead of night, in a burnt down village on the planet of Endor, a man so misguided and twisted, so confused and blinded by the visions of others, rested for a while by the broken limb of a tree. He knew better than to waste his own time, but he really did need a short break. He gave himself a couple minutes to sit, stretch, take a drink, gather his thoughts, meditate. And once he was done, he grabbed his pack again and started down the path he'd grazed over the time of all his visits to this place. In a clearing just beyond the river he'd found lay the remains of a heritage he rather valued highly. He knew the way so well after many visits, he swore he could make the trip in his sleep. He cleared out the few trees that had managed to grow back after the devastation he'd delivered to the planet and found his way to what he had always considered to be his second home.

  This dark man was on a mission. Never had he felt so alive, so filled. His lungs and heart burned with passion, reason, motivation. As one of his advisers had just reported, they'd found her escaping aboard the Falcon. He had them all right where he wanted them. This had to work. How future mission had to be successful, for he might not ever get another chance. And he was not okay with that ever happening. Long ago, he had had a blood family, people who shared his power, his destiny, his blood and ties to such an ancestor. But, an unknown enemy had torn them apart and he wanted noting more than to reunite his family and share is greatness and his grandfather's legacy.
  A few huts remained, huddled around the clearing where lay a pile of ashes and a black, menacing uniform remained, laying atop burnt logs and the echoes of a victory party. He knelt beside the ashes, scooped up a handful into his hand and kissed it. "Hello, Grandfather," he said, letting the rest of the ashed slip through his fingers, back into the pile. "Yes, it is me, your grandson. I have come back to share with you my joys. We found another Jedi, Master. And I think it's her this time. I truly believe it might finally be Rey. At least, I can only hope." Kylo Ren sat down beside his grandfather's remains and found the treasured helmet. He held it out at arm's length, stared it down. He could imagine the dead man's eyes brimming with pride, somewhere under that mask a smile creeping, all his dreams finally becoming realized. "Don't worry, Grandfather. I know that Uncle Luke ruined your plans. I am sorry he didn't understand. But fear not, Grandfather Skywalker. Nothing will stand in our way." He ran a finger along the right side of his grandfather's helmet, his finger following the damage the funeral pyre flames had caused it. He wished to clean it off, bend it back in its original, magnificent shape, polish it up again, maybe wear it for good luck. More than just wearing the legendary mask, Ren wanted so badly to have his grandfather come back, stand by his side and guide him down his path. He knew, no matter how wrong he wanted it to be, that he was going to need a lot of help. "I will finish . . ." He stroked the jaw of the mask with his thumb, trying to reach back into the Force for his hero, Vader. "What you started."
  "Son Kylo," a dark, deep voice buzzed from his comm.

  "Yes, Master?"

  "I think it's time you go after the Falcon. Your father and sister are together now. And I think they're leading us to a rebel base."