Prologue

"I'm worried about him!" Mummy's voice was louder than normal, and it didn't sound right. I got out of bed and walked to the stairs, where I could hear her better. Will followed right behind me, slipping his hand into mine as if he could feel the way my heart was racing.

"It's not normal, not at his age,"

What's not normal? Who are they talking about?

Will made a sudden noise; I turned around and put a finger to my lips, telling him to be quiet. Fortunately, my parents didn't seem to have heard him.

"Nico is just more creative than most children, I'm sure he'll grow out of it." Daddy sounded calmer, as if trying to reassure her that nothing was wrong. With me. They were talking about me. They were always talking about me, me and Will, in hushed tones, worrying over me, they thought I couldn't hear the way they ridiculed us. I tightened my grip on Will's hand, and though he made a slight yelp of surprise, he didn't complain.

"It's just... strange. He doesn't talk to other kids, and even the teachers are getting uncomfortable with it. I don't want him to be a target for bullies, that's all."

I frowned. I didn't want to be bullied, especially as I didn't know what I was doing wrong.

"It's okay, Neeks, I'll protect you," Will whispered, and instantly I felt better. No one could hurt me when I had Will as my shield.

"He's six, it's perfectly normal to have imaginary friends."

What?

Will's not imaginary.

Liar.

I stepped backwards, forgetting that Will was there and crashed into him, sending the both of us tumbling down to the ground.

"Did you hear that?"

I leapt up, dragging Will with me, ran back to my room, and jumped on my bed. Footsteps thumped up the stairs, and I heard my door open, but I squeezed my eyes shut and the door closed again.

As soon as the footsteps disappeared, I sat up and looked at the blonde boy sitting next to me.

"You're real, aren't you? Even if they can't see you?" I asked quietly, holding out a hand to touch him.

"I'm real to you, Neeks. So why does what other people think matter?" Will replied, allowing my fingers to skim over his face, his hair, his healer's hands. He was real. I could see him, I could feel the warmth of his skin and the softness of his hair. I could feel his heartbeat, thudding gently against my touch, it was in exact sync with my own.

He was real. I knew he was real.

     -kathynerd