Shock Wave

After school, my parents decided to take me back to Annabeth for another session. I was still shaking from my encounter with the Other, and Will was holding me, trying to calm me down.

"Nico, you're ok now, I'm here," he whispered, but my body wouldn't stop shivering. What if it came back? What if it hurt Will? I couldn't survive without him-- I wouldn't survive without him. They'd kill me eventually without him to protect me.

The waiting room was cold. I sat huddled in Will's arms, wondering why the person currently with Annabeth was taking so long. Surely it hadn't taken me that long, the first time.

Eventually, Annabeth arrived with a grave expression, waving at my parents and taking me into her room. As soon as I sat down she started talking, but I couldn't hear a word she said. It was like I had been submersed in water, struggling to breathe and unable to hear anything other than the waves crashing around me. I subconsciously reached for Will's hand, only to find empty air, and my arm fell limply to my side.

Nico.

The Voice tore through the barricades of swirling water, immediately making me freeze.

Did you enjoy our little bit of fun?

Annabeth had left the room some time ago to speak to my parents, or that was what I had assumed.

The walls drew in closer, the space diminishing every time I blinked. The Voice cackled with laughter.

Where is he, Nico? Where is your protector this time?

With a sudden movement I leapt up and ran, but the door had disappeared. The walls encaged me on either side, appearing to have stopped but somehow still suffocating me.

You can't escape, Nico.

Why bother?

I pounded on the wall, tears pouring down my cheeks.

You can't escape.

The door appeared, taunting me little by little as I attempted to wrench it open.

You can't escape.

With one final heave the door flew on its hinges and I stumbled out into corridors and stairs and blue carpet and bright lights.

I blinked, but all I could see was darkness and cages and wooden floors.

You can't escape

The Voice still lingered, haunting my every step.

Will wasn't here.

The Others probably weren't far behind.

You can't escape.

Terror crawled across my skin and split it so hard it drew blood. My nails scratched at my wrists, wishing I had something sharp.

You can't escape.

Will wasn't here. They knew he wasn't here.

What had they done to him?

-kathynerd