Chapter Five

It's gone. My hair is all gone. Never did I imagine I'd be bald. Never did I imagine cancer would be the cause.

I already feel weak, not to the point where I can't walk, but it's still noticeable.

I sit on Tyler's lap, toying with his hands, a beanie still atop my head. Tyler is currently the only one in the room with me right now, Daniel in the cafeteria.

"Are you okay?" He asks, chin on my shoulder.

"I still can't believe it" I sigh, wincing as I turn my hand and knock the IV.

"I know it's a bit overwhelming, Cassie. But we all believe in you. You ought to believe in yourself then" I nod.

"I guess you're right" I nod.

Daniel enters the room, carying a container of food.

"Fancy some pasta?" I nod. "Knew you would"

I twirl it around the fork, about to eat it when the world blurs.

I reach out blindly, everything spinning.

"I love you guys" I whisper and then pass out.

When I come to, my vision is still blurry, but Tyler and Daniel are easily in view. Immense pain travels through my body in quick flashes and eventually I cry out in pain.

"Chicka, what's wrong?" Tyler asks.

"It hurts, Ty. It's so much fucking pain" I sob.

Daniel rushes out of the room, insisting he needs to get me help.

"Just calm down, Cassie. Just calm down" His hand comes down on my shoulder and I sigh.

"Okay, Cassie. I'm here" Katrina says, reentering with Daniel. "I have some painkillers. You want some painkillers?" I nod.

She attaches a syringe to my IV, pulling back some before pushing the clear liquid into my veins.

I convulse once, twice, darkness.

Harsh slaps are placed to my cheeks, taps to the bottoms of my feet, and shakes to my shoulder.

After mega struggle, my eyes peel open and Tyler sighs in deep relief.

"She's up! She's up!" Daniel calls to Katrina, preparing a syringe of something I don't know.

He kisses me on my cheek, shaky breaths hitting my jaw.

"We tried everything to get you up" He explains in a soft whisper. "You had me worried sick, baby girl"

"I'm sorry" I apologize. "I didn't mean to scare you. I would of said something if I knew I was going out. It just happens" Daniel nods in understanding.

"It's okay, baby. You're okay now"

For now.

A knock comes to the door and Allison stands in the doorway crying a silent stream of tears, Shane standing behind her and holding Dylan.

Allison runs in, instantly sobbing, and evelops me into a bone-crushing hug.

"Oh my God, Cassie" She sobs quietly and only to me, her hands sprawling across my back. "I thought I lost you. I thought I lost you" She cries.

"It's okay, baby. I'm okay. I'm here, Allison, I'm here" I reassure her, kissing her face repeatedly.

"As soon as Daniel texted Joey I just wanted to see you" She lowers her voice. "Dylan knew something was wrong"

I sigh, breaking the tender moment to cup her cheeks and press my lips to hers. I sigh. I'm gonna miss this.

She was staring out that window, of that SUV
Complaining, saying I can't wait to turn 18
She said I'll make my own money, and I'll make my own rules
Mamma put the car in park out there in front of the school
Then she kissed her head and said I was just like you

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These Are Some Good Times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Before she knows it she's a brand new bride
In a one-bedroom apartment, and her daddy stops by
He tells her It's a nice place
She says It'll do for now
Starts talking about babies and buying a house
Daddy shakes his head and says Baby, just slow down

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These Are Some Good Times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Five years later there's a plumber workin' on the water heater
Dog's barkin', phone's ringin'
One kid's cryin', one kid's screamin'
She keeps apologizin'
He says They don't bother me.
I've got 2 babies of my own.
One's 36, one's 23.
Huh, it's hard to believe, but ...

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These Are Some Good Times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this
You're gonna miss this
Yeah, you're gonna miss this

I'm gonna miss this. I'm gonna want this back. I'm gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast. These are great times. I'm taking a good look around. I know it now. I'm gonna miss this.