The Plan

Today is the day of the Reaping. It inevitably happens every year. It's the Capitol's way of keeping the districts under control. They choose 24 children from across the districts, and force them to fight to the death until only one remains. Every year, two children from each of the 12 districts, aged 12-18, are chosen to go into the arena and fight to the death. Every year, 23 of those 24 children die and one emerges a victor. Every year, parents and children watch an escort draw one slip of paper, an almost certain death sentence, out of a huge bowl. A tribute is chosen, and they are sent off to the Capitol. The parents may never see their child again. They will receive their stiff, dead child in a box. It's horrendous.
District 3 has not had a victor since the 68th Hunger Games, and no one expects this year to be any different. The victor usually comes from District 1, 2, or 4. The tributes in those districts are trained from a very young age, and they almost always volunteer once they turn 18. In District 3, we focus on technology. That does not require very much physical strength, but it does make for smarter tributes.
One of our only victors, Beetee, electrocuted all 12 of the remaining tributes by using wire provided in the cornucopia. He lives in the Victor's Village now, and is married to one of the other District 3 victors, Wiress.
I know that it is very unlikely that I will be reaped. My name is only entered 3 times, since my family is fairly well off and I haven't had to take out a tesserae. Nevertheless, it is always good to have a plan. Just in case.
Since District 3 specializes in technology, we have the best hospital with the most superior technology in Panem. The hospital is located on the very edge of the district, very close to the Capitol, so that the Capitol citizens can access it. Most people in my district either work at the hospital or in the factory, designing and manufacturing the most innovative technology for the Capitol. District 3 does not get to keep any of it. Everything that all of the districts make goes to the Capitol.
My father works at the hospital; he is a cardiologist. He has worked on technology that can help stop heart attacks, and has helped prevent a lot of heart-related death.
Sometimes, when it is a slow day at the hospital, my dad secretly works on technology of his own. He has created a small, circular device that delivers such a huge electric shock that can stop your heart for a couple minutes. After a little while, the device delivers another shock that supposedly restarts your heart. My dad has never had any reason to use it on somebody, so he is not sure if it even works.
My mother asked him when we would ever need to use such a device. He told her that if me or any of my six sisters were reaped, we could take the device as our token. His plan was that we could use it to fake our death and escape the Hunger Games. My mother told him that he was being ridiculous, and that the odds that any of us actually reaped and put in the Hunger Games were astronomical. My dad said that it was just a precaution, and he continues to work on it when he has free time. I sincerely hope that we never have to put the device to use. The Hunger Games are the most feared and dreaded event in all of Panem.